Instruction book?

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Instruction book?

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:52 am

krystalbird wrote:Apart from the Help menu, is there access to any sort of instruction booklet?
The Instruction Book has risen to the top of the ToDo list (at last).

For a start I have added a simple menu option Help -> Frequently Asked Questions which takes you to FAQ's on this web site.

The next that I will add will be Navigation - lots a stuff in this one - for instance -
  • Do you know what happens if you click on someone in the Context Diagram and then hit the T key on your keyboaard? Or the R key?
  • Do you what happens if you hold down Option + Cmd keys and press the left or right arrow key?
  • Do you know what Cmd Key + Left Click does in the Context Diagram?
  • Do you know what Option Key + Left Click does in the Context Diagram?
  • ..... and lots more ...
There is now a very long list of 'not-so-intuitive' keyboard shortcuts that need documenting.

Later I will get around to more mundane things like:
  • How do I connect my sister (or grandmother) in to be my mother by adoption?

or
  • How do I change someone's gender after he/she is married?
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Instruction book?

Originally posted by guyholmes

And how long has there been an option to click on an individual in the context diagram and then scroll down with the mouse to reveal interesting facts and figures ?? I stumbled upon that by accident this morning and have never noticed it before - I love it !!!

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Instruction book?

Originally posted by krystalbird

I noticed the context-info option just yesterday. Really, really nice! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Instruction book?

guyholmes wrote:And how long has there been an option to click on an individual in the context diagram and then scroll down with the mouse to reveal interesting facts and figures ?? I stumbled upon that by accident this morning and have never noticed it before - I love it !!!
In the Context Diagram there are three cases where the Scroll Ball/Wheel does something useful
  • Scroll (Fwd/Back) when the mouse pointer is over a person
    - scrolls Name, Title, Birth/Death, Marriages, Children, Migration Events, Religious Events, Burial/Cremation, Cause of Death.
  • Scroll (Fwd/Back) when the mouse pointer is over the bottom RH corner of the Focal Person
    - displays the Focal Person's next sibling. The current person's " card" is outlined in red.
    - the keyboard shortcuts are Cmd+UpArrow and Cmd+DownArrow
  • Scroll (Fwd/Back/Left/Right) when the mouse pointer is over an image
    - displays each of the other images in turn. You can stop and use left click on any image
    - this works for the image of any person in the Context Diagram.
    - to display the images for all people check the Preference for " Show Default Pictures in Diagram"
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Instruction book?

Originally posted by Hazza

Wow! These features are amazing.
I am truly impressed.

Really great work Keith!

Look forward to the manual.
Take it that there will be graphics where appropriate.

Hazza

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Instruction book?

Hazza wrote:Wow! These features are amazing.
I am truly impressed. Really great work Keith! Look forward to the manual. Take it that there will be graphics where appropriate. Hazza
Here is the start of the manual - I will progressively add more - will add the images later

Go to The Missing Manual -> Navigating the Context Diagram

Unfortunately iFamily for iPhone has pushed the manual off the top of the list again - it's more fun

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Instruction book?

Originally posted by Chris Knight

Keith,
It's very useful. I found it before I had seen this thread when I used search to look for something I had forgotten and there was the answer in the missing manual. Great stuff.