Merge Databases with Descendants?

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 pm

Originally posted by BillW

I know how to merge databases to include ancestors, but is there a way to do the reverse: start with a common ancestor and merge his or her descendants so as to be able to calculate distant cousin relationships?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

BillW wrote:I know how to merge databases to include ancestors, but is there a way to do the reverse: start with a common ancestor and merge his or her descendants so as to be able to calculate distant cousin relationships?
To merge descendants you open two databases and then Right Click on the Ghost Box for a Child instead of a Ghost Box for a Parent

Then check the box labelled " Include Selected Descendants and their Spouses"

Then select (or swipe) the Descendants that you want included.

You can also Right Click on a Spouse and include his/her ancestors.

Does that answer your question?

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Keith,

When I tried right-clicking on the child ghost box the program asked if I wanted to merge the mother. When I told it yes and to add her descendants, it wouldn't allow the merger because the age difference between her and her counterpart in the other database was zero. It also would not allow me to deselect her when I selected all her descendants. What am I doing wrong?

Bill

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Hi Bill

Before you right click on the child's Ghost Box you must:

1. Activate the source database - the one you want to copy from.

2. Select the person to be copied - he/she will now be highlighted in red.

3. Activate the target database - the one you want to copy to.

4. Right click on the ghost box for the child.

Does the above solve your problem?

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Keith,

That got it. I made a misstep in forgetting to swipe all descendants the first time I tried it and had to resort to the backup copy for the second, successful try. You put in a wise feature when you set up the backup system--one that users should never disable!

Thanks for a great product. It vastly outshines any competitor I've tried.

Bill

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by krystalbird

I've been having a great time developing my family tree with this splendid software, created by a genius.
Here's a couple of problems I'm having because I'm not smart enough to figure it out:
1) I merged several names, but the disconnects that resulted have messed with the tree. Whereas before I was getting a smooth transition from parents to children to next generation, now sometimes names are missing.
2) When I try to retrieve the missing names, it seems I'm put into a different work flow.
3) I use a track ball, and when I click my right button it activates multiple, smaller screens, so I'm unable to do what the administrator is asking me to do by " right-clicking." Any alternative to this?
4) Is there a way to simply call up a screen by ID number? If so, is there a way I can simply delete that entire ID number screen, as it leads to no one else?
:-[ :(

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

krystalbird wrote:I've been having a great time developing my family tree with this splendid software, created by a genius.
Here's a couple of problems I'm having because I'm not smart enough to figure it out:
1) I merged several names, but the disconnects that resulted have messed with the tree. Whereas before I was getting a smooth transition from parents to children to next generation, now sometimes names are missing.
2) When I try to retrieve the missing names, it seems I'm put into a different work flow.
3) I use a track ball, and when I click my right button it activates multiple, smaller screens, so I'm unable to do what the administrator is asking me to do by " right-clicking." Any alternative to this?
4) Is there a way to simply call up a screen by ID number? If so, is there a way I can simply delete that entire ID number screen, as it leads to no one else?
Hi Vera

Let's get the track ball and right click sorted out first. It sounds like you need to use Apple -> Preferences to reset what your buttons do. If you are using a Mighty Mouse that was supplied with a new iMac then have a look at the FAQ for Right Click does not work

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

krystalbird wrote:I've been having a great time developing my family tree with this splendid software, created by a genius.
Now let's address calling up a person by ID and deleting him/her.

At the RH End of the Toolbar is a Search field. This search field has a drop down menu which is activated by clicking on the disclosure triangle just after the Q>.

From the drop-down menu you can search on various fields like Name, Names and Titles, Birth Year, ... and Unconnected People.

In the table of people you can click on the column headings to sort by ID or Name.

To delete an Unconnected Person select him/her from the list of people and he/she will be displayed as the Focal Person in the Context Diagram in the upper half of the main window, then press the Delete Key to remove the person from the database.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Let's get the track ball and right click sorted out first. It sounds like you need to use Apple -> Preferences to reset what your buttons do. If you are using a Mighty Mouse that was supplied with a new iMac then have a look at the FAQ for Right Click does not work

Keith
Hi Keith...no, I don't like picking up & putting down mouses, so I've used a trackball now for years (Kensington.) I'm told the Mighty Mouse is fantastic, and I still own it (came with my G5) but never have used it. Sooo...I plan to re-read the instructions for my Kensington, which has only 2 buttons (I like to keep things simple) and see if I can circumvent need for the Mac mouse. With only 2 buttons, though, I see that I may have to give up some other, current action, like viewing all the open screens in teeny size at once.
I will definitely let you know how it goes.
BTW, what is " alt" on a Mac? If I hit Option+P I get Print, not preview.
You're a peach.
Thanks.
D

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

krystalbird wrote: BTW, what is " alt" on a Mac? If I hit Option+P I get Print, not preview. You're a peach. Thanks. D
You should get " Print" when you hit Cmd+P not when you hit Option+P.

" Alt" on a Mac is the " Option" key. In fact when I am programming and want to know if the Option key is pressed down I use something called NSAlternateKeyMask.

I assume by " viewing all the open screens in teeny size at once" you mean " ExposÈ"

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

:-? Good morning Keith,
I took a closer look at my Mac's Option key, and whaddya know, it says " alt" in teensy-weensy letters as well.
Nevertheless, when I press " Option (alt)+P." the print screen comes down. Now, the Print screen has Preview...is that what you meant?

I'm just getting around to working through the instructions on your previous posts. So much work to do! ::)