Use of Option Space in names

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Kirsten

Use of Option Space in names

Post by Kirsten » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:08 pm

I am getting ready to use iFamily and am thinking about how I want to enter data.

I am thinking about using "Option Space" with names to keep them together and would like to ask about any negative consequences I might not be aware of.

This is my reasoning:
I would enter e.g. first name of "Anne Marie" with an option space so as to keep iFamily from choosing to call her just "Anne" in some places. If her name is "Anne Marie" and I know that she has been called by that full first name when called to the dinner table, then I can hardly recognize who is being shown if the name appears as just "Anne".

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi Kirsten,

I use the Option-Space with Surnames that need to be kept together rather than between first and Second names.

To display the full name in the Diagram there is a drop down selector in the Preferences pane that alters what (and how it) is displayed.

Also, it could be that 'Annemarie' is actually one name rather than two in which case the problem is solved.

I do not know of any particular problem caused by the Option-Space sos you should be able to use it OK.

Nigel

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Nigel,

This is a very thoughtful and thorough reply.
Thank you.

I had not noticed the "show full name in diagram" under Preferences.
It solves part of the problem. I notice that in my old version of iFamily the abbreviation still happens in a descendant report.

I am expecting a new computer tomorrow and as soon as I have it set up I will update to most recent iFamily. I can hardly wait. My current iFamily version is an old one from 2008 and I probably should not even have looked at what it can do and how, since I am sure many things have changed since then.

When I get the new version installed, I will check on how the names behave without the Option Space. Good to know that you do not foresee problems with its use. That way if I do not like the way the names behave I can type with them Option Space and force the issue.