Unforeseen consequences? Would I regret?

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Kirsten

Unforeseen consequences? Would I regret?

Post by Kirsten » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:05 pm

I am thinking about how I set up my parameters for how I want to enter data into iFamily.

All my research and writing is in Danish which I handle fluently.
I am thinking about the following for entering events other than birth, marriage, death:
When I go to Event screen and signal add event, I chose e.g. "Baptism"
In the events window
the first column "Type" shows "BAPM". I leave that alone for GEDCOM purposes.
The third column shows the word "Baptism". I change this event name to "DÃ¥b" which is the Danish word for "Baptism".

I would do the same type of substitution for events "confirmation" and "census".

I would do this to make reports much smoother for me to read in that all my descriptions and notes are made in Danish.
Easier for me since I am reading the sources in Danish and I can stay in that language mode.
Also easier for other potential readers (i.e. my family) who would all be Danish and with this system of mine would be exposed to as little English terminology interspersed in various reports as possible.

Is there a problem with this that I am not aware of?
I would love to do it this way. At the same time I would not relish having to do a lot of later changing back and correcting of already entered material if a problem would show itself.

Any input from experienced iFamily users very much appreciated.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi Kirsten,

I cannot think of any reason to stop you making those changes.

For the OCCU event I change 'Occupation' to the job held by that individual.

There have been some discussions on the Forum over the way that iFamily exports some of the Event types in the GEDCOM files but it should not make any difference here.

Others may have further info or other experience to guide.

Regards,

Nigel

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:56 pm

Thank you, Nigel!
Your reply is doubly welcome because it was what I was hoping to hear...
:lol:

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:48 am

Don't know if anyone would be interested, but I decided - after experimenting - not to use any Danish event names.

I have concluded that any gain for me by renaming certain events is cancelled out and outweighed by inconsistencies I would thereby create in reports.

I and other Danes will just have to be able to understand basic English words and that should not be a problem.

This saves me renaming. Back to "KISS" principle... :lol: