V2.522 Discussion

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

V2.522 Discussion

Post by Warwick Wilson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 pm

iFamily V2.521 Prerelease

We have been testing a new (stable) version of iFamily with some customer assistance but now require a wider test distribution. Although we had made a number of changes and new features to our current series of releases, I required to strip them back to a clean copy with core functionality as some unintended behaviours had started to occur. The new features will be added in future releases.

This release is limited to procedural and User interface (Typo) fixes along with some minor bugs and extra error traps. No changes have been made to our underlying data model so your data integrity should not be affected by this release.

Please note that I specified "should not occur" above. If you are willing to trial a new version of iFamily, please use the following link.

(You can downgrade back to V2.511 using this link if necessary)

Replies to this thread are appreciated. Report of this build hanging or crashing are especially appreciated. If all goes smoothly by Friday I will pursue a wider release.

Please register that the installation has installed sucessfully, it lets me know the uptake from this release method along with a list of people I should email should we require a rollback. (Highly unlikely)
Last edited by Warwick Wilson on Mon May 30, 2011 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:01 pm

No problems found so far with random feature testing.

New look seems crisper than before.

New position for the Selection bar works well.

More feedback if anything shows up - I hope to test GEDCOM export against reunion & MFT

Nigel

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:31 am

All feedback was good, this has been released as V2.522.

To see wht's new in V2.522 please click here

I realize that not all bugs have been fixed and not all Enhancement Requests have been accomodated. Please post a link to any forum threads below mentioning if there is anything I should focus on for the next release. (I will try and slot it into my list.)

I will respond to any comments on monday.

hib

looks fine

Post by hib » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:44 am

The new version looked fine from what testing I did. I did appreciate the bug fix where the focus was lost when children were added. (In last version, after typing name and gender, the focus of the cursor was lost.)

Your timing for a potential release has nothing to do with something else being released tomorrow, such as iPad2, does it? How is the phone/iPad version coming?

Thanks,

Al
Al

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:38 am

hib wrote:Your timing for a release has nothing to do with something else being released tomorrow, such as iPad2, does it?
No, I'm sure Apple planned the iPad2 release for Keith's birthday too.

As shown today, I am now confident of releasing new versions of our Desktop product. Some work however still needs to be undertaken on removing a couple of remaining bugs before I can move my focus to producing and supporting a second or third (or fourth) product line. (iPad/iPhone/??).

I hope this release provides some confidence to our customers that updates are continuing for iFamily.

hib

Post by hib » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Warwick Wilson wrote: No, I'm sure Apple planned the iPad2 release for Keith's birthday too.

I hope this release provides some confidence to our customers that updates are continuing for iFamily.
I am sure your father would be honored to have this coincide with his bday.

Also, I agree with your focus on showing iFamily is alive and continuing; building confidence in the program is important at this time. I was wondering about it myself.
Al

csbrown99

iFamily V2.522

Post by csbrown99 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks for the new release. It's good to see that iFamily is still under active development. I just downloaded the new version and so far everything seems to be running fine. One small point that's been a problem for me remains: the preference Always copy pictures to /Pictures always returns to a checked status each time the program is run. I always have to remember to uncheck it when I add images. Since I store my source images (PDFs, JPEGs etc.) in a DevonThink database I don't want new copies proliferating on my disk drive.

Anyway, perhaps in the next update?
Charlie

asaldanha

Error message when exiting from new 2.522 version

Post by asaldanha » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi Warwick or Nigel,
Can I possible send you the entire error message I got while exiting from the new version?. I did a cut and paste, so it contains all the terminology etc.
Thought it might help you if there are any bugs.
Thanks
Allan

[Edit: Enquiry sent by email, WW.]

gmd

Post by gmd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 am

This update works like a charm. A thoughtful set of amendments.

mclewis

iFamily V2.255

Post by mclewis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:55 pm

No problems to report with running the new release. Very good to see development of iFamily - the change to the location of tab selection bar works very well.

Many thanks

hib

Re: looks fine

Post by hib » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:19 pm

hib wrote:I did appreciate the bug fix where the focus was lost when children were added. (In last version, after typing name and gender, the focus of the cursor was lost.)
I spoke too soon about the squashed bug. If you have an Active Source set to some source, select the Family tab in the middle (formerly in the strip at the bottom) and try to enter in children, you will find the bug. After entering the name, the active source dialog box comes up looking for information but when it is dismissed, the focus of the cursor is lost and it is NOT in the next field as it should be. If, however, one uses the arrow at the top of this Family pane, which brings up its own modal window, the focus is not lost in that context. Keith had fixed it once but it got lost in his last version. It would be nice to have the fix restored.

Thanks again for the work.
Al

dennisb

Thank you Warwick!

Post by dennisb » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Many thanks to you Warwick for continuing to support and extend the wonderful iFamily program. Your program has made possible some wonderful interactions in my family - people continue to be amazed at the PDF generational reports that I send them.

Dennis
Dennis

Lawrie

new 5.22 version

Post by Lawrie » Fri May 20, 2011 8:16 am

I am just so glad iFamily, be it Leopard or whatever, is to continue. Congratulations to all concerned. Lawrie S.