Link multiple individuals to an event

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:08 pm

Originally posted by firetruck

Is there a way that I'm missing where I can create an event (in this case for a census), and link the event to multiple individuals (members of a household at the time of the census)? That way I don't have to enter the event for each individual?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Hi firetruck,

Use menu option Sources -> Add/Edit and add the Census as a Source and then make it the Active Source.

For each Person add an Event with type = Census. Enter the Date and Place.

A Reference to the Active Source *the Census) will be automatically added as you add each Event.

Alternatively, while a Source is the Active Source, you can Right Click on any existing Person or Event and add a Reference to the Active Source.

I hope the above answers your question.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by hib

I am guessing that firetruck wants the following (or at least this is what I would like).

Suppose that I have 15 lines of information for the 1930 census of the John Doe family. I add this text to John Doe but the census also refers to Susan, Johnny, and Mary. It would be nice to add a pointer reference in Susan's area that points to John's lines of information but not actually copy the information there (to save space and time, particularly if a change is made). Thus, the notes for a reference for one person could serve as notes for multiple people. This might not be trivial to implement but it is an idea to consider.

Thanks,

Al

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by firetruck

Yup, Al, that is what I was thinking although wasn't able to state it well enough.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Is there a way that I'm missing where I can create an event (in this case for a census), and link the event to multiple individuals (members of a household at the time of the census)? That way I don't have to enter the event for each individual?
You can do something similar to the above by entering the Source Document as a Source, i.e. elevate it from a Source Reference to be a Source. You can then make it an Active Source and add it to many people. In iFamily a Source may be referenced to a Person VIA an Event or it may be attached directly to a Person.

You will then have a zillion Sources for the 1881 UK Census rather than a single Source called &quot 1881 UK Census&quot .

I will also add something to the ToDo list to investigate your proposal to link a single event to multiple people, however by entering an event it does allow you to add extra information from the Census to classify it with an Event type such as Occupation or Residence as of a specified date - which may make the subsequent reports somewhat more meaningful. What I may then need to also do is to add a parent-child relationship within the Sources - so that the Durham 1881 Census is a child of the 1881 UK Census and they can then be nicely grouped together in a hierarchy.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by hib
Keith Wilson wrote:I will also add something to the ToDo list to investigate your proposal to link a single event to multiple people, however by entering an event it does allow you to add extra information from the Census to classify it with an Event type such as Occupation or Residence as of a specified date - which may make the subsequent reports somewhat more meaningful. What I may then need to also do is to add a parent-child relationship within the Sources - so that the Durham 1881 Census is a child of the 1881 UK Census and they can then be nicely grouped together in a hierarchy.
Keith
Just double-checking that this did get put into the (rather large, I bet) ToDo list. For me, and I guess others, this would be extremely useful to be able to enter some data relevant to several people in one place but yet show up for each person in his/her respective source notes (once properly connected, of course).

Thanks again.

Al

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

hib wrote:
Keith Wilson wrote: I will also add something to the ToDo list to investigate your proposal to link a single event to multiple people, however by entering an event it does allow you to add extra information from the Census to classify it with an Event type such as Occupation or Residence as of a specified date - which may make the subsequent reports somewhat more meaningful. What I may then need to also do is to add a parent-child relationship within the Sources - so that the Durham 1881 Census is a child of the 1881 UK Census and they can then be nicely grouped together in a hierarchy.

Keith
Just double-checking that this did get put into the (rather large, I bet) ToDo list. For me, and I guess others, this would be extremely useful to be able to enter some data relevant to several people in one place but yet show up for each person in his/her respective source notes (once properly connected, of course).Thanks again. Al
The ToDo list is actually quite small. I have a policy of implementing solutions as they are requested rather than allowing them to pile up.
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

In V2.432 there is a new function to clone an existing event complete with all its Source References and to attach the new event to another person. You can then edit the new event without affecting the original event. Please refer to What's New for more details. Because this has been implemented as a cloning function you should try to make sure that the original Source References are complete before starting to clone the related events.

Keith

NTJ

Post by NTJ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:55 pm

This is exactly the function I have been looking for!! Any updates regarding this discussion?