Surname Change

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Cazzy

Surname Change

Post by Cazzy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Would this be a proper way to indicate a surname change which was not due to marriage?

Father - John SMITH nee John JONES

Would this be a proper way to indicate given and surname changes which were not due to marriage?

Daughter - Jennie SMITH nee Jane JONES

We can speculate but are not certain why this branch of the family changed their surname. (Most likely issues of acceptance into a new culture.) It led to research dead-ends and confusion until it was sorted out. I would like to include this information on the family tree for the edification of future researchers. The name change continued for two generations but no further as these families had only daughters, not sons.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Cazzy

Post by Cazzy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:42 pm

As I posted in the thread - Something I should be aware of before I start . . .

This is how I resolved it: James Jones changed his name (completely) to Sam Smith. I entered it as James Jones aka Sam Smith, thus listing the initial legal name first, followed by the new name. I used the same process for the entire family; the children’s first and last names were all changed also. I found this to be a simple way to type it and a simple way to read it. I felt it was important to include all this information, i.e. both names, as future genealogists might spend a long time trying to trace this family if they didn’t know about the name change. I have not been able to discover what is considered the “properâ€