Printing Diagram

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Billericay

Printing Diagram

Post by Billericay » Wed May 18, 2011 12:05 pm

I would appreciate it if you could tell me how to print the diagram of my family tree. I have tried to convert it to a PDF and then copying and pasting it in a word document but this is very tedious and the result is a rather hit and miss affair! Hope you can help. Many thanks

dennisb

Printing Family Tree

Post by dennisb » Wed May 18, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm aware of two methods of printing your family tree using MS Word, the first of which it sounds like you tried:

1. In iFamily, create the Ancestors or Descendants PDF file (note there are MANY customizations available on the "Customize Defaults" control), then open the PDF in Adobe Reader (a free program), use the Adobe "Snapshot" feature to copy the selected portion of your PDF, open Word and use Edit > Paste to import the snapshot, and then use Word's facilities to size or edit the image. If you have any specific issues with this sequence, just put out another message.

2. In iFamily, create an HTML file (Web button at the top), then go to the directory containing iFamily Reports, right click on the HTML file (you'll have to guess at picking the right one from a numbered file list, so I suggest limiting the number of generations!), select to open the HTML file with MS Word, and then use Word's facilities to size or edit the image.

There may be other ways that I'm not aware of, and I'm curious myself as to what others in this Forum may know.
Dennis

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Thu May 19, 2011 5:27 am

Dennis,

I am struggling a lot with reports and will have to post some questions once I can get my issues sorted out enough to formulate them...

Therefore I was interested in working with this post - thinking that it would at least advance me a step on one part.

Your first method sounded so convoluted that I was inspired to give the second one a try instead.

Ran into an obstacle right away because I cannot figure out what you mean by "Web button at the top" so I couldn't even get started.

Could you clarify, please...

Hoping for enlightenment,
Kirsten

dennisb

Mac OS X Menu Bar and "Web" menu

Post by dennisb » Thu May 19, 2011 6:00 am

Oops, I wasn't clear on my earlier post in this thread. Where I said "web button at the top" I meant to say the "Web" menu pull down in the iFamily menu bar at the very top of your Mac screen. "Web" is between "Sources" and "Reports" and allows you to create an HTML export. That HTML export can be easily read by Microsoft Word.

BTW, there's a third method. Just take a screen shot of the iFamily main context diagram by simultaneously pressing down on command-shift-4 which is the "Apple" key plus the "shift" key plus the numeral "4". You get a little bulls eye which you position at one corner of what you want to capture by using your mouse, left click and drag to the opposite corner, and when you left up the left mouse button it completes the screen shot of your window, placing it in a png file on your desktop. You can easily import that screen shot into MS Word.
Dennis

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Thu May 19, 2011 1:33 pm

With the screenshot if you also press the Ctrl key at the same time as the others it will copy the screenshot to the clipboard rather than saving a file on the desktop.

Just paste (CMD+v) the image in Word or Pages.

regards,

Nigel

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Sun May 22, 2011 11:58 pm

Thank you Dennis for elaborating.

Screen Shot:
I use the command-shift-4 for screen shots all the time in many contexts so am very familiar with it. Had used it a time or two for snapshot of context diagram as well.
Thank you, Nigel: I did not know about the short-cut for getting the screen shot immediately onto the clipboard by adding the Ctrl key. (If there are additional short-cuts, I'll need an extra finger - ha!)

To return to subject of methods for printing the diagram.
Dennis, I still don't get it about the "web-button" and maybe it doesn't matter since I have the screen shot method down pat, but anyway:
At the very top of my Mac screen I have:
iFamily for Leopard File Edit People Events Sources Reports ProjectViews Window Help.
That's it! No "Web"in between "Sources" and "Reports".

My Easy Diagram Print Method:
I have at the top of my iFamily screen, above the green of the context diagram, a little printer icon, and I discovered that it gives me two options if I click it: 1) Print full window (which converts the whole iFamily screen visible to a PDF) and 2) Print Diagram Only, which converts just the diagram to be saved as a JPEG.

So, Dennis - In this one case it is probably okay that I cannot duplicate one of your methods even though I usually like to be able to just to see if it is useful to me!

P.S.: Am still planning to ask some Reports questions and recommendations as soon as I can get my head wrapped around it!
Last edited by Kirsten on Mon May 23, 2011 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Mon May 23, 2011 6:11 am

Dennis, I just want to let you know that I now do understand the first option in your first response in this thread. Not sure what was so intimidating about that one in the first place!

Next, I have a couple of questions re Context Diagram:

Some lines going from one generation to the next are thick, red and stippled while others are narrow, black/gray and solid. Why?

I discovered that through the Preferences I can get rid of the ghost outlines (child, spouse, father, mother). That is useful for printing diagram to share with someone.
Above the focal person's name a small "picture" appears. Can I in some manner (similar to getting rid of the ghost outlines) get rid of the "Picture"?
In most of my cases it isn't a picture at all, but a document, and it looks confusing - not to me for working with, but to someone else for sharing.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Mon May 23, 2011 8:36 am

Hi Kirsten,

I think the only way to avoid a picture being shown is to add a Place holder in the pictures pane.

This is a NULL image which can go before any documents or other images and as it is the first in the set that is shown for the Focal person it stops the problem you are having.

I do not know of a way to turn off the display picture for the focal person - you can control it for the others though through the preferences pane.

I have forgotten the reason for the different link lines but will have a search for an answer unless someone else responds sooner.

Nigel

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Mon May 23, 2011 8:54 am

Hi again,

Not found anything definitive on the dashed red lines but think it may be related to the number of source citations for the persons involved.

I did discover that in the context diagram if you right click on the page the menu has a Save diagram option - you can choose just the context diagram or include the lower pane as well.

It saves as a PDF if the Full Window and as a jpeg if just the diagram.

Just another way to do what you need.

Nigel

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Mon May 23, 2011 9:14 am

Aha, I knew I would find something.

This link
http://www.ifamilyforleopard.com/forums ... link+lines

identifies it as indicating relationships with less than x% certainty. This can be turned off by an option in the preferences. You can also set the % value - default is 50%.

Now to work out what defines the % certainty.

Nigel

dennisb

"Web" menu in iFamily menu bar, context diagram pr

Post by dennisb » Mon May 23, 2011 7:31 pm

Kirsten,
I don't know why you don't have the "Web" menu in the iFamily menu bar between "Sources" and "Reports". I'm running iFamily 2.522 and I've been using the Web option for several years in prior versions. It's a mystery.

Kirsten and Nigel,
I'd like to thank you both for pointing out iFamily's print options from the iFamily tool bar print icon or by right-clicking on the context diagram. Saving the context diagram directly to a jpg is very handy! I use the program Cheese (http://www.stuffware.co.uk) to manipulate jpg images for printing and sending.

I completely agree with everything that you've both pointed out regarding the red-dashed links, ghost diagrams, and pictures. I'd also point out that you have substantial control over the appearance of the context diagram content, font, and colors by by right clicking in the context diagram, choosing Preferences, then selecting content options by checking, and following the Font and Colors options.
Dennis

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Mon May 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Wonderful progress!

Thank you Nigel and Dennis, both.

I see that the right clicking on the page in the context diagram produces exactly the dialog box which presents itself if you click on the printer icon above the green of the dialog box. Thanks, Nigel. Glad to know of the right click option. (I tend to not right click on much of anything and I no doubt miss out...)

Good explanation on the difference between the red stippled lines and the solid black ones to connect people.
Now that I know what those lines indicate, I can probably make use of that information as I work, and when I want to share the context dialog I will go to preferences and turn off the probability factor as will as the ghost outlines before I proceed.

Very glad to find out that there is a way to avoid the "Picture" by inserting a blank one.
One question remains for me (in this context - otherwise I have lots of them - ha!):
How do I produce such a thing as a NULL Image? Once produced I can no doubt figure out how to install it since I place "things" in the "Pictures" section of a person quite regularly.

favell44

Post by favell44 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:57 am

In the middle of the lines connecting people there is a small circle. Click on this to change the percentage likelihood of the link. I find it useful because I can include people on my diagram for whom I have rather dodgy source information, which serves to remind me of their possible relationship to people in my family tree, and which encourages me to keep looking for solid sources, while at the same time alerting me that the connection is still tentative.
Money can&#39t buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

dennisb

Placeholder in Pictures

Post by dennisb » Tue May 24, 2011 5:43 am

Kirsten,

To answer your question re "NULL" pictures, as Nigel mentioned, that is implemented for you already by using iFamily's "Placeholder".

Just click on "Pictures" for the person of interest and then click on "Add Placeholder". You'll be asked to confirm by clicking "Continue" and then iFamily places an empty/null picture with the title Placeholder in the default (upper left) position. Now no picture will show for that person in the context diagram, or in reports for them.

If you decide you no longer want the placeholder, you can right click in the area over the Placeholder title and remove the placeholder.
Dennis

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Wed May 25, 2011 4:05 am

Hej Dennis,

Thanks for "Placeholder" explanation. How easy! And what a nice feature.

Thanks Favell44 for pointing out what service can be had from the probability indicators and for pointing out what can be accomplished with that little circle!
Very handy.

My admiration for capabilities of this program keeps growing.
My appreciation for online support likewise.

Thank you,
Kirsten