General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Cazzy

PRINTING REPORTS

Post by Cazzy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:07 am

Why am I getting the message, “No pages were selected for printing?â€

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi Cazzy,

Can you explain a bit more about what you are trying to do, which report you are trying to print (menu details) and what settings you have used?

I had a try and could not reproduce your error message.

Thanks,

Nigel

Cazzy

Post by Cazzy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:19 pm

From the main pane where we build our tree, I choose myself as the Focal Person and then go to the top and click on Ancestors. In that new window, I click on Customise Defaults at the bottom right of the screen. I choose: Full Name, Birth Date/Place, Death Date/Place, Spouses, Siblings, Cascaded, Scrunched, Vertical, 20 Generations, 16 points, 1.9 width, Cascaded, Scrunched, Display Gender Symbols, Truncate, Draw Continuation Line, Highlight Path to Root Person, Consanguinity to Root of A/V. I used Red for the focal person, but a dark gray for all else.

Thank you so much for attempting to solve this for me. I am preparing for a family reunion in a few days. I suspect I am just too tired and not thinking straight; that the solution is not complicated.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi Cazzy,

OK, I'd call that an Ancestor's chart or diagram rather than a report - which I why I did not understand.

Testing your settings it would appear that having a width of more than 1.7 does something to the page layout. If you click on the 'Show Page Layout' box you will get the red lines that indicate the edge of pages (as set in Page Setup).

You can save as PDF and then print on a big plotter or via a print shop rather than printing out lots of A3 pages and cutting them to make a big diagram.

Try it with smaller width settings. I would also suggest leaving 'Truncate' off as it leaves out lots of important bits of the notes and family relatives (spouses siblings etc).

Good luck with the reunion.

Nigel

Cazzy

Post by Cazzy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Nigel, Dennis, and others,

I apologize, Nigel, for not responding sooner to your last helpful post. Suddenly the reunion days had arrived and we were absorbed with all those activities.

I had found the same thing as you did . . . that I had misnamed what I was working on - chart vs. report, and the impact of changing the width. I did inquire about having a banner printed commercially but put that on hold for the future and just shared a "draft."

On 11x14 poster boards, I printed photos (people, war medals, postcards, etc.) and the stories that went with them. I covered the posters with contact paper. They were easy to pass around and short enough to focus on at a very busy, noisy reunion. This presentation proved to be a hit!

Thanks again to those who made suggestions. I incorporated your ideas and hints into how I shared a little of our overwhelming amount of information and artifacts.

Sue