Unconnected limb

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Unconnected limb

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:32 am

Originally posted by Melissa

Hi Keith, One of the large limbs of my tree has an ancestor, Abraham E and now i have discovered that there is also an ancestor Abraham, both with the same surnames. I had all their descendants coming off the one Abraham E but have now discovered that they are 2 different Abrahams and I need to separate off the Abraham E rather large limb from the tree because as yet I do not know how the Abraham E branch attaches to the main tree. My question is how can I create a free floating limb with all the descendants that I currently have for him but just keep him to one side until I can work out how he actually links in to the tree. There is no doubt that he and his descendants are related to us and I don't want to loose the information. Thanks for your help Melissa

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Unconnected limb

To disconnect parent-child relationships you can

a) click on the small circular button at the mid-point of the parent-child relationship line.

b) drag a line from one person to another and then let go of the mouse button

c) Right click on the person and select &quot Disconnect&quot from the pop-up menu.

You can later reconnect people by Right click in the Context Diagram and then select Attach Existing person as ... from the pop-up menu.

You can also see who belongs to which separate Dynasties using menu option Reports -> Dynasties.

Does that answer your question?

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Unconnected limb

Thanks Keith - I now have a free floating limb awaiting connection at a future date! Thanks for your help.

Regards
Melissa

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Unconnected limb

Melissa wrote:Thanks Keith - I now have a free floating limb awaiting connection at a future date! Thanks for your help. Regards, Melissa
Hi Melissa

In V2.394 I added a new menu option People -> Prune Minor Dynasties

The Main Dynasty is the largest group of inter-connected people in the database. The remaining people may be inter-connected into smaller dynasties or may be stand alone unconnected people. The purpose of this function is to allow you to remove all the people other than those who belong to the Main Dynasty, which can assist you to " see the wood from the trees" . It was originally created to assist people who have imported Gedcom files that contain large numbers of small dynasties. The database will be backed up before any people are deleted.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Unconnected limb

Hi Keith, Thanks for this added feature. I am just a bit concerned, as you say " The database will be backed up before any people are deleted." Are these minor limbs actually deleted in this new feature or just disconnected from the main branches?

Thank you so much for your constant upgrades and attention to our queries and requests. This is one of the most helpful chat forums of any software I have ever used.

best wishes
Melissa

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Unconnected limb

Melissa wrote:Hi Keith, Thanks for this added feature. I am just a bit concerned, as you say " The database will be backed up before any people are deleted." Are these minor limbs actually deleted in this new feature or just disconnected from the main branches? Thank you so much for your constant upgrades and attention to our queries and requests. This is one of the most helpful chat forums of any software I have ever used. best wishes, Melissa
When you use Prune Minor Dynasties
  • iFamily displays a list of all the Dynasties and tells you who belongs to which group.
  • You press the button labelled Delete all People not in the Main Dynasty
  • iFamily asks you if you want to make a backup of the current database.
  • If you answer NO then iFamily will not let you proceed any further.
  • If you answer YES then iFamily makes a backup of the current database and only then proceeds to delete all the people who do not belong to the Main Dynasty.
  • If you immediately do like like what has been pruned then you can immediately invoke Undo to get them all back again into your current database.
  • If you later want those people back again then you can Merge them into your current database from the backup database.
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Unconnected limb

Got it. Thanks Keith this will be very useful.