Generating reports

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Generating reports

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri May 16, 2008 9:06 am

Originally posted by Melissa

Hi Keith,

Could you please tell me how to generate descendant (or ancestor) reports (including spouses) which can be read by people using a PC and who do not have genealogy software. I have managed to generate reports but it has a strange layout where it includes people's photographs instead of names and then links them with plus signs and equal signs to other written names. I am looking to generate a written repot, without photos. Sorry if I am being stupid but I need help. The purpose of the reports i wish to generate is to send a complete limb of my tree to various relatives.

Thanks

Melissa

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Generating reports

Originally posted by pewterpot

I save my reports using a free software called Neo Office with no problem. This opens automatically when I need to save a report.

From Reports, generate your report from the drop down window using either the Ancestors/Descendants config.(click the squares that you want to appear in the report).
I usually save it to the desktop where it's easily picked up from, and then send it as an attachment. My report in RTF (Rich Text Format) takes up 1.5 MB.

A PC should be able to open the attachment.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Generating reports

Melissa wrote:Hi Keith,

Could you please tell me how to generate descendant (or ancestor) reports (including spouses) which can be read by people using a PC and who do not have genealogy software. I have managed to generate reports but it has a strange layout where it includes people's photographs instead of names and then links them with plus signs and equal signs to other written names. I am looking to generate a written repot, without photos. Sorry if I am being stupid but I need help. The purpose of the reports i wish to generate is to send a complete limb of my tree to various relatives.

Thanks

Melissa
Hi Melissa

When generating a report for Windows you MUST selcet a word processor that handles Rich Text Format (RTF) files, such as Microsoft Word.

Windows based word processors do not understand RTFD files.

Alternatively you can use Reports -> Generate HTML Web Pages which can be read by any web browser on any operating system.

Alternatively you can send a PC user PDF files such as those generated for the Ancestors and Descendants diagrams. They can read them using Adobe Reader (free).

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Generating reports

Originally posted by gavroche

[quote=Melissa]I have managed to generate reports but it has a strange layout where it includes people's photographs instead of names and then links them with plus signs and equal signs to other written names. I am looking to generate a written report, without photos. [/quote]

When you click on Ancestors or Descendants in the Report menu, a window appears with several boxes..some checked, some unchecked.

" Include Default Pictures" and " Include Childrens Pictures" are checked by default. If you click on the boxes it will toggle between checked/unchecked. You might also want to check " include births of living people" , which is unchecked by default, if you want to include their information on the report.