OSX Mountain Lion

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

OSX Mountain Lion

Post by Warwick Wilson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:25 am

Apple: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/02 ... tures.html

Wired: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/02/ ... tain-lion/

FYI: You will need another update of iFamily before Mountain Lions release. It looks like it is time for us to move your iFamilyData folder from your user home directory to the Documents folder. This will form an automatic part of the install process prior to Mountain Lions general release.

Geordielass

OSX mountain Lion

Post by Geordielass » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:23 am

Hi Warwick

How will this affect me and other users like me who store the iFamilyDataFolder on a separate external hard drive javascript:emoticon(':?:')
Enid
Expat Geordie researching: Atkinson; Burn; Archer & Thompson - Dunston & Whickham.
Bell; Shanks & Fawcett - South Shields & Usworth Co. Durham;
Walmsley- Bolton Lancs & Usworth Co.Durham);
Donnelly - Armagh & Whickham

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:47 am

Putting the files in the documents folder is the Apple way to do things, the user home directory is the wrong place. Placing it there will also make it easier to sync with iCloud. I envisage iCould on Lion and above to be an option, not a necessity and am working towards that end.

You'd be surprised how many people have hard disk failures and accidents without backing up. Storage on an external mirrored disk is always a good option.

Whereas I can always send out new download links for the application, iCloud can provide data security for our customers databases as a plan B for catastrophic failures.
Last edited by Warwick Wilson on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geordielass

OSX Mountain Lion

Post by Geordielass » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:56 am

Sounds good to me Warwick - I'm all for anything that prevents me losing any of my precious data
Enid
Expat Geordie researching: Atkinson; Burn; Archer & Thompson - Dunston & Whickham.
Bell; Shanks & Fawcett - South Shields & Usworth Co. Durham;
Walmsley- Bolton Lancs & Usworth Co.Durham);
Donnelly - Armagh & Whickham

ftipple

OS X Mountain Lion

Post by ftipple » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi Warwick,

I'm hoping to change my laptop in September, after the release and bedding down of Mountain Lion.
Will iFamily be ready for the new OS by then? And will I be able to download it to my new machine without paying again?

I'm currently running v.2.532, and following your earlier comments I've checked and can confirm that my iFamily files are still in my home directory, and not in the Documents folder.

Please advise,

TIA,

Fíona
duignan@drumcarey

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Re: OS X Mountain Lion

Post by Warwick Wilson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:00 am

ftipple wrote:I'm hoping to change my laptop in September, after the release and bedding down of Mountain Lion.
Will iFamily be ready for the new OS by then? And will I be able to download it to my new machine without paying again?

I'm currently running v.2.532, and following your earlier comments I've checked and can confirm that my iFamily files are still in my home directory, and not in the Documents folder.
Hi Fiona,

Apple has announced ML's release on Wednesday (today). Luckily we are in Australia so we have an extra night to get ready.

So there should be a new release of iFamily tomorrow, but I would recommend waiting until Early August as iFamily will also need to be bedded down. The iFamilyData folder will not be moving yet, we am still working through the lengthy but necessary language externalization task. (There may be some typos on the interface or in the dialogs and reports with tomorrows version, these will be fixed promptly.).

All current customers can of course have a free upgrade to the Mountain Lion compatible version of iFamily For Leopard. (It's still going to be called "for Leopard" just for the moment).
Last edited by Warwick Wilson on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ftipple

Mac OS ML

Post by ftipple » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks Warwick,

Fíona
duignan@drumcarey

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:14 am

Done, please update to V2.752 at your leisure and report any errors. (Typos and the occasional non fatal crashes are expected).

mgayler

mountain lion "quit unexpectedly" on opening ifami

Post by mgayler » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:46 am

Hi Warwick,

I stupidly got excited and downloaded Mountain Lion last night, (luckily I did full back ups etc.,), and now when I try to open iFamily it just pops up with "iFamily for Leopard quit unexpectedly" and won't even open.

Would sending you the detailed problem report be of any use? If so, to what address?

What should I do - should I just wait until any problems any ironed out, or is there some way I can upgrade (without being able to open iFamily) ?

Thanks so much,
Madeleine

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Re: mountain lion "quit unexpectedly" on opening i

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:54 am

mgayler wrote:Would sending you the detailed problem report be of any use?
Hi,

Thanks for your post. I know of this problem, I have emailed you a link for our latest update.

Warwick.

mgayler

Post by mgayler » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi Warwick,

Thanks for your prompt reply! I have just downloaded update and all seems well :) BTW - I like the new leaf icon!

Cheers,
Madeleine

dfautheree

Need link to newest version that supports ML

Post by dfautheree » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi Warwick,

I upgraded to Mountain Lion before I checked here and now it crashes upon opening.

Would you please send me the link to the newest version?

Thanks,
Dave

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:50 am

The Download link is in the members section linked below, I will send it by email also:

http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=929