General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Tell me a Story!

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:43 pm

Originally posted by jillaine smith

I *just* saw the STORY tab!
It pulls up a little word processor.

Please tell me how this should be used, and how anything entered in here gets exported (if at all) into a GEDCOM.

I'm so curious!!!

-- Jillaine

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Tell me a Story!

Originally posted by jillaine smith

OH MY.
I should have continued playing with the Story...
I must be blind today-- too much data cleanup all day long.

" Generate Story" is totally cool. Makes something of a narrative report, then pastes it into this word processor, then you can copy over to your WP of choice.

And now I see the options... Oh Keith... this is GREAT!

How are others using this? I want to hear.

-- Jillaine

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Tell me a Story!

Hi Jillaine,

There is no defined tag in the Gedcom 5.5 Specification for iFamily's rich text story with embedded images, so no other genealogy application can import it. Anyway, the physical size of these records (large) make them unsuitable for exporting to a Gedcom file.

If you find an interesting web page you can drop it into the Story page as follows:

1. Find the web page on the internet of your famous great-great-uncle.

2. Use Cmd+A to copy the web page to your clipboard

3. Right Click on the Story pane in iFamily and select Paste.

OR

4. Right Click on the Pictures pane and paste - which rips and saves all the images ignoring the text.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Tell me a Story!

For the Story, in Options, you can set your preferred word processor.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Tell me a Story!

Originally posted by firetruck

Keith,

I know you are familiar with TNG. Per the above discussion and kind of related to a previous question I had...in the story tab, is there a way to link stories to multiple people? Often stories or recollections involve multiple people and I'd much prefer to have the story in my system only once but linked to many people as you can see in the recording on my website here http://wadeandlisa.com/tng/showmedia.php?mediaID=2

-W

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Tell me a Story!

Originally posted by Lesley

I think the story that is generated from the notes you have compiled does just what it set out to do in a straightforward and well organised manner it includes all the info that you have compiled plus the parents and other relatives plus any thing that you have found written on that particular ancestor in the media

I think what you are asking is getting away from what is a brilliant feature already and will possibly make it more complex (Keith ?)

you could yourself add to the story by building in anything you consider worth mentioning from the other people that are listed around the focal person of the story, but as they will have their own story page already in your tree you are beginning now to write a chapter of a book .....which may be the natural progression from compiling your family history using your info from story generations and your photos all of which are readily at your fingertips so to speak

regards lesley