Two brothers marrying two sisters

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
rah

Two brothers marrying two sisters

Post by rah » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:19 am

How do you create the link between two sisters (same family) and their father and mother if they marry two brothers (same family)- which creates two separate family tree lines
thanks

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:43 am

Hi Rah,

Not too sure what you are seeing as the problem here.

The sisters will share the same mother and father (Mum 1 & Dad 1)

The brothers will share the same mother and father (Mum 2 & Dad 2)

Sister 1 can be selected as the root person and a spouse (Brother 1) can be selected with the details.

The same can be done for Sister 2 and Brother 2.

Selecting either sister as the root person will display their ancestors together with those of their spouse. These trees will be identical towards the past but different in the future direction.

Am I missing something in your question?

Regards

Nigel

rah

two brothers(family 1) marrying two sisters (family 2)

Post by rah » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:33 pm

hi
i,m probably all mixed up

Can i try again

If two brothers (family 1) marry two girls who happen to be sisters(family2) - won't this create two separate family trees for each of the brothers - is my thinking correct - can the two sisters individually be linked together back to the same parents through the ID numbers - can you adjust the ID number to create the link or do i have it all wrong

another way i can explain myself
if you create the family ancestors for one brother (1) up through the wife (1) to her father and then discover that the wife(1) had a sister (2) who married the brother of brother (1) how do you work back down from sister (2) or up from brother (2) and maintain the link without creating two separate trees

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:17 am

Hi rah,

I still don't think there is a problem as iFamilyforLeopard will handle the relationships correctly.

There is one ancestral tree and different descendant trees.

I think you are trying to over complicate the relationships but tis is just a special case of siblings marrying others - in this case te families are the same.

Hope that helps,

Nigel

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi rah,

I think the hint you need here is to right click on the second sister on the diagram and select "Add Existing Person as Spouse...". You will then be able to select the second brother from a list of suggested matches and create the union.

(Note that an approximate birthdate is required for the matching.)

So the steps are:

1. Create the first family with the two brothers, including birthdates.
2. Add the first sister as a spouse of the first brother.
3. Focus on the Spouse and create her parents, then focus on her parents and create her sister.
4. Right click on the sister and attach the second brother toh er as a spouse.

Hope this helps.

Warwick.