Two Macs

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
tulgiva

Two Macs

Post by tulgiva » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:16 am

I have a second Mac computer now and have migrated all my files over to it but plan to continue to use both computers - one at home and one on the move. When I add new people or info to ifamily on one computer how do I update the other? Do I need to go through the migration process again or is there a quicker way?

RussianMennonite

Post by RussianMennonite » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:33 pm

I have faced the same issue in the past. At first, I used a thumb drive to transfer the iFamily data from one Mac to another. Transferring files and keeping track of which computer was up-to-date soon became problematic. What do you do when the laptop has been updated and the main computer has had a change? Where did you make that last change?

I soon discovered a simpler solution. Today, I use cloud storage and synchronization. I connected the iFamily data file on my main Mac to SugarSync. Next, I installed iFamily and SugarSync on the laptop. The only tricky part was pointing the iFamily data directory on the laptop to the iFamily SugarSync directory on the laptop. I believe I found the solution on the iFamily forums.:)

Once that was done, I have never looked back. Now I update the iFamily file on the main Mac running Mountain Lion and the update is automatically synchronized with the iFamily file on the older MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.

It works vica versa as well. So when I am out, the MacBook Pro updates are automatically synchronized to the Mountain Lion machine. Both machines have the latest family information.

The only caveat is that both machines need to be connected to the internet. They do not have to be on at the same time. In fact, it is better if they are not. When I return home, I turn on the main computer and it downloads the updates from the "cloud".

This works with at least two of the cloud solutions available. Prior to getting the Mountain Lion machine, I used Dropbox. After purchasing the Mountain Lion machine, I switched to SugarSync. I made the switch to SugarSync because a user can have a free 5GB account compared to DropBox's free 2GB account.

In addition to SugarSync and DropBox, there are other cloud solutions available as well - Google Drive, SkyDrive (only works with Lion and above), Copy.com, etc.