Can't connect existing people-Recursion Error

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
ctrunfree

Can't connect existing people-Recursion Error

Post by ctrunfree » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:29 am

I'm trying to connect two existing people as father and son, but when I do I get an error message saying that there is a Recursion between the two parties. Why is this happening, and how do I fix it?

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Re: Can't connect existing people-Recursion Error

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:47 am

Have you tried using the relationship calculator to discern the current connection between the two identities?

If you find a connection which is in error you will need to sever it before forming the parent-child connection you require.

ctrunfree

Post by ctrunfree » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:06 am

The current relationship is Mr X is Mr Y's wife's son. WHich is true, but I wasn't sure if Mr Y was his father, but now I am, but I can't get them to connect. How would you delete that relationship?

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:51 am

I think it's a right click on one of the people and select "Disconnect...", I can check further tonight.

Keep in mind that the relationship calculator only shows the quickest path between the two, there may be a second connection once you remove the first.

Once you get one parent connected properly, set that parent as focal and drag a line between the child and spouse. Click the mid point between the parent and child to adjust the relationship type. (Natural/Adopted/Step/etc.)