Tried opening after some time away....

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
darusan

Tried opening after some time away....

Post by darusan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:10 pm

It has been a while since I last used iFamily, but my son has become interested and I tried opening it up again after a number of years. I am getting an error message "iFamily for Leopard quit unexpectedly", so I assume I need to upgrade to a newer version. Unfortunately since it won't open, I can't use the link within to initiate the upgrade. Where do I go from here?

Also, I may be purchasing a new mac, as this one is about 10 years old, so how do I move the program over to the new mac? I may want to start this new mac "fresh" and not transfer everything over from this mac, but just select items.

I can send the error message if wanted.

NigelRichman

Re: Tried opening after some time away....

Post by NigelRichman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:33 am

Hi

The new versions are in the Members Forum area under the first post. The update was chargeable to help fund ongoing support.

As you say “iFamily for Leopard” I’m guessing it has been a long time so your version of macOS may be too old for the latest version. I think there is information on the main website on compatibility.

The location of the family data base moved as Apple changed the rule so without knowing which version of OS you are running it is hard to help (Warwick would be best placed to advise).

On a new Mac you would simply have to put the iFamily data folder contents in the right place - there was a database format change so it might have to migrate to the new structure.

Hope that helps a bit

Nigel

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:40 am

Hi again

This thread might help

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1154&p=3886&hilit= ... 9b02#p3890

Nigel

darusan

Post by darusan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:19 pm

The iMac I am using is running El Capitan, 10.11.6. That's as far as it will upgrade.

I have been delaying buying a new Mac for a while, as this one has been doing everything I want thus far.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi

The latest version is ok on El Capitan so I would download it from the members area (follow the link)

It should handle the database migration.

Let us know how you get on

Nigel