Determining consanguinity

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:30 am

Originally posted by retiredvrs

How can I determine the consanguinity between persons? When I have a focus person chosen and then point to another person on the chart, it returns a message about the consanguinity of that person with person not on the chart i.e., I have myself as focus person and point to one of my ancestors however, the message refers to the consanguinity of the person I am pointing to with the father of my wife.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:33 am

retiredvrs wrote:How can I determine the consanguinity between persons? When I have a focus person chosen and then point to another person on the chart, it returns a message about the consanguinity of that person with person not on the chart i.e., I have myself as focus person and point to one of my ancestors however, the message refers to the consanguinity of the person I am pointing to with the father of my wife.
The consanguinity in the tooltip in the Context Diagram is always calculated relative to the root person of the current Ancestral View.

In the People Index you can display the consanguinity of any person in the database relative to the current Focal Person. In the People Index you can change the Focal Person to anyone you like. So this means that you can quickly determine the consanguinity between any two people.

In the menu item People - Relationship Calculator you can display the consanguinity between any person and the current Focal Person. There is a button on the Relationship Calculator that allows you to quickly change the Focal Person to anyone you like. So once again this means that you can quickly determine the consanguinity between any two people.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:58 am

In ancestry view (the " main" window when I load iFamily) highlighting my name (set as focal person), and the moving cursor to one of my direct ancestors, the information given begins as having no consanguinity with a direct ancestor of my wife. It does give information about my direct ancestor.

Thanks for your help.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:09 am

retiredvrs wrote:In ancestry view (the " main" window when I load iFamily) highlighting my name (set as focal person), and the moving cursor to one of my direct ancestors, the information given begins as having no consanguinity with a direct ancestor of my wife. It does give information about my direct ancestor. Thanks for your help.
The Ancestral View is all the people shown in green in the Context Diagram. You can only have one Ancestral View activated at any one time but you can define as many as you like.

To define an Ancestral View:

Make someone that you are interested in the Focal Person of the Context Diagram

Open Preferences and at the bottom of the Preferences panel click on " Create Ancestral View for Focal Person"

That person is now the Root Person in an Ancestral View. All his direct ancestors should now be displayed with a green background colour.

In the Preferences panel you can change whicih Ancestral View is the active one.

The consanguinity in the Context diagram is relative to the Root Person of the current Ancestral View

The Ancestral View is a very important navigation aid. Most iFamily users make themself the Root Person in the current Ancestral View so that they are the " centre of the universe" i.e. " numero uno" .

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:45 pm

Thanks, Keith. I do understand that. The problem is:

I am the root person. I move my cursor over the ancestral view to one of my ancestors, Jacob Snider (or any other one). A message window pops up:

" Consanguinity: No consanguinity with August Johan Schuetz" ...[and then gives information regarding Jacob Snider].

August Johan Schuetz is an ancestor of my wife!

Also, another key maybe that the background is a kind of gold or yellow which I may have changed in preferences.

Thanks again for your help.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:23 pm

retiredvrs wrote:Thanks, Keith. I do understand that. The problem is:

I am the root person. I move my cursor over the ancestral view to one of my ancestors, Jacob Snider (or any other one). A message window pops up:

" Consanguinity: No consanguinity with August Johan Schuetz" ...[and then gives information regarding Jacob Snider].

August Johan Schuetz is an ancestor of my wife!

Also, another key maybe that the background is a kind of gold or yellow which I may have changed in preferences.

Thanks again for your help.
  • Make yourself the Focal Person in the Context diagram
  • The Context Diagram now displays you at the centre, your wife, your parents and your children.
  • Depending on how many levels of Ancestors you are displaying, the Context diagram may also display your grandparents, great-grandparents etc.
  • Open the Preferences panel
  • At the bottom of the Preferences Panel click on " Create Ancestral View of Focal Person"
  • All your own ancestors should now be displayed with a green background in their box.
  • You are now what is called the " Root Person of the current Ancestral View" .
  • Close the Preferences Panel
  • Click on the Focal Person (you)
  • Press the Right Arrow key 6 or 7 times
  • As you move off the RH side of the screen the Focal Person will change.
  • Press the Left Arrow key 6 or 7 times - you should now be the Focal Person again.
  • Now slowly move the mouse over people in the Context Diagram
The Consanguinity will now be displayed relative to you because you are the " Root Person of the Ancestral View"

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:50 pm

I apologize for being so slow at grasphing basic concepts! When I did exactly what you instructed and opened Preferences, I discovered that it had Ausgust Johan Schuetz' Ancestors selected as the Ancestoral View of the Focus Person! Of course, when I created the Ancestroral View for myself as the Focus Person, everything operated as I expected.

Thanks for your patience and for all of your help.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:59 pm

retiredvrs wrote:I apologize for being so slow at grasphing basic concepts! When I did exactly what you instructed and opened Preferences, I discovered that it had Ausgust Johan Schuetz' Ancestors selected as the Ancestoral View of the Focus Person! Of course, when I created the Ancestroral View for myself as the Focus Person, everything operated as I expected.

Thanks for your patience and for all of your help.
I am sorry that I did not twig to what your problem really was in the first answer I posted.

iFamily is so full of tricks that people have asked for that even I am starting to forget some of them !!

A suggestion that it may help - have a look at the following:

Navigating the Context Diagram - try all the key strokes and clicks but do not expect to remember them all - (I don't)

and

Navigating the Ancestors and Descendants Diagrams

and

Context Diagram Preferences and Colours

Keith

rodney_jewett

Post by rodney_jewett » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:20 am

Here's my example:
When I mouse over an individual in the context diagram, it says he is my 9g grandfather.
He has 3 children who are my ancestors:
His son is my 8g grandfather.
One daughter is my 9g grandmother.
One daughter is my 10g grandmother and also the mother of my 10g grandmother.

So this 9g grandfather is also my 10g grandfather, 11g grandfather, and 12g grandfather. :shock:

Is there a "simple" way to find all of the relationships between the focal person and another individual in addition to the shortest path?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:34 am

rodney_jewett wrote:Here's my example:
When I mouse over an individual in the context diagram, it says he is my 9g grandfather.
He has 3 children who are my ancestors:
His son is my 8g grandfather.
One daughter is my 9g grandmother.
One daughter is my 10g grandmother and also the mother of my 10g grandmother.

So this 9g grandfather is also my 10g grandfather, 11g grandfather, and 12g grandfather. :shock:

Is there a "simple" way to find all of the relationships between the focal person and another individual in addition to the shortest path?
Hi Rodney

The pop-up tooltip in the Context Diagram is displaying the consanguinity via the shortest path.

It looks like some of your ancestors have married their cousins or other relatives. This is shown in detail by the Ahnentafel numbering. You can display all of a person's Ahnentafel numbers (relative to yourself) in the Context Diagram using the Preferences panel or by using your scroll ball/wheel.

Another way to see the detailed shortest path is to use menu option People -> Relationships Calculator.

Another way is to use the Ancestors Diagram - you can right click on your 11gGrandfather and select "Contract to Bloodline to Root". The boxes with faint grey outlines represent people who appear more than once in your ancestry.

Keith

Keith