Where are my photos?

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Where are my photos?

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:30 pm

Originally posted by BobW

I need to know if the photos are inbeded into the iFamilyForTigerData folder, or are just a link to the original photo. It seams that when I burn the program to a DVD, some of the photos are missing. Also, if a photo is a Photoshop photo, but a jpeg format, will somone without PS be able to see the photo. Since I have have few photos in the iFamily program, as of now, I think I'm going to trash all the photos, in the data/pictures and start over, with your help. Simply, how do I make sure the photos will be there when I burn for a DVD?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Where are my photos?

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:41 pm

Originally posted by jimwinfrey

Hi Bob,

There is a folder in your user directory named iFamilyData. That folder has a subfolder named Pictures in it. Your photos are there. I am assuming that when you drag a photo to your file, a copy goes into the Pictures folder and the media path now points to the copy.

I did not want to mix my family and genealogy files so I set up a Folder specifically for genealogy with sub folders for pictures, documents, etc. iFamily handles them well.

Jim

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Where are my photos?

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:44 pm

BobW wrote:I need to know if the photos are inbeded into the iFamilyForTigerData folder, or are just a link to the original photo. It seams that when I burn the program to a DVD, some of the photos are missing. Also, if a photo is a Photoshop photo, but a jpeg format, will somone without PS be able to see the photo. Since I have have few photos in the iFamily program, as of now, I think I'm going to trash all the photos, in the data/pictures and start over, with your help. Simply, how do I make sure the photos will be there when I burn for a DVD?
The name of the iFamilyForTigerData folder is changed to iFamilyData when you upgrade to V2.403 (iFamily for Leopard).

When you add pictures to iFamily

Step 1. iFamily makes a thumbnail of each image and stores the thumbnails in its database file. The database file has extension FtkSql and is in your iFamilyData (or iFamilyForTigerData) folder.

Step 2. iFamily makes a copy of the original file and saves the copy in the folder called /iFamilyData /Pictures

You can over-ride Step 2 by setting " Always Copy" to OFF. This switch will be turned ON every time you start iFamily for Leopard. You should leave " Always Copy" turned ON unless you have a good reason to save disk space. Disk space in now so cheap that it is unlikely that you would save more than $10 worth of disk space if you always has " Always Copy" turned ON.

Caveat: Movies may be many Gigabytes. If you are adding movies to the iFamily Pictures pane then iFamily will NOT copy the movie to its /Pictures folder.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Where are my photos?

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Originally posted by BobW
Keith Wilson wrote:
BobW wrote:I need to know if the photos are inbeded into the iFamilyForTigerData folder, or are just a link to the original photo. It seams that when I burn the program to a DVD, some of the photos are missing. Also, if a photo is a Photoshop photo, but a jpeg format, will somone without PS be able to see the photo. Since I have have few photos in the iFamily program, as of now, I think I'm going to trash all the photos, in the data/pictures and start over, with your help. Simply, how do I make sure the photos will be there when I burn for a DVD?
The name of the iFamilyForTigerData folder is changed to iFamilyData when you upgrade to V2.403 (iFamily for Leopard).

When you add pictures to iFamily

Step 1. iFamily makes a thumbnail of each image and stores the thumbnails in its database file. The database file has extension FtkSql and is in your iFamilyData (or iFamilyForTigerData) folder.

Step 2. iFamily makes a copy of the original file and saves the copy in the folder called /iFamilyData /Pictures

You can over-ride Step 2 by setting " Always Copy" to OFF. This switch will be turned ON every time you start iFamily for Leopard. You should leave " Always Copy" turned ON unless you have a good reason to save disk space. Disk space in now so cheap that it is unlikely that you would save more than $10 worth of disk space if you always has " Always Copy" turned ON.

Caveat: Movies may be many Gigabytes. If you are adding movies to the iFamily Pictures pane then iFamily will NOT copy the movie to its /Pictures folder.

Keith
In the pictures data folder, all the photos are there. Now I don't know if they are a link, or not. When I click on them they open fine. Always copy is selected, Still the photos don't open in the pictures section of the program.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Where are my photos?

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:36 pm

If the file in /Pictures folder is an alias file (one that points to a file somewhere else) then the file extension will be something like &quot .jpg alias&quot

In the Pictures pane you can

(a) double click on the thumbnail to invoke the default application to display the image, movie, word processor file, ....

(b) right click on the thumbnail in the Pictures pane and then select Open With... to display it in any other application.

Keith