Where do I enter occupation and residence

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:56 am

Originally posted by nakedbear

Ok, I may be dumb, but I want to have things in the right fields for exporting to Gedcom. When you add the occupation event you get event which is filled out with the word occupation date and place. Do I write over the word occupation with the actual occupation or do I add it to the place field along with the actual business. I just want them to be in the correct fields before I add a ton more occupations to people. The same question applies to Residence. Do I type over the word residence and add some info there, or just use the place field. Also are these standard tags that will export to other programs? Thanks for your help

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:27 am

nakedbear wrote:Ok, I may be dumb, but I want to have things in the right fields for exporting to Gedcom. When you add the occupation event you get event which is filled out with the word occupation date and place. Do I write over the word occupation with the actual occupation or do I add it to the place field along with the actual business. I just want them to be in the correct fields before I add a ton more occupations to people. The same question applies to Residence. Do I type over the word residence and add some info there, or just use the place field. Also are these standard tags that will export to other programs? Thanks for your help
Hi Scott.

The word " Occupation" for an OCCU event is a placeholder for the name of the event - you should type over it.

The word " Residence" for a RESI event is also a placeholder - you can type over it if you like.

The name of an Event can be anything you like, it will be written to a Gedcom file as the name of that Event.

All of the Tags that iFamily uses for events are Tags that are defined in the Gedcom 5.5 Standard, except for _MILT which is used by quite a few other genealogy applications, The Custom Tag _MILT, in my opinion, is the de-facto standard for " Military Service" .

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:40 am

Originally posted by curriouscat
Ok, I may be dumb, but I want to have things in the right fields for exporting to Gedcom. When you add the occupation event you get event which is filled out with the word occupation date and place. Do I write over the word occupation with the actual occupation or do I add it to the place field along with the actual business. I just want them to be in the correct fields before I add a ton more occupations to people. The same question applies to Residence. Do I type over the word residence and add some info there, or just use the place field. Also are these standard tags that will export to other programs? Thanks for your help
The word " Occupation" for an OCCU event is a placeholder for the name of the event - you should type over it.
  • If you type over the Event Name on the Events panel, what you type there will not appear if you export it to Ancestry. Placeholder or not - maybe in this instance Ancestry does not handle the placeholder well. (It does export quite well to the HTML export.)
  • To enter an occupation, use the person's name tag - the left most one on the bottom bar. The occupation field is top right.
  • For residence at a particular time (eg from an Electoral Roll or Census), enter the date and location in those fields.
  • You would use the Occupation Event if the person changed occupation at a certain time or place -
The Events in the Attached (from Ancestry) all have the Event name changed in iFamily.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:01 am

curriouscat wrote:
  • If you type over the Event Name on the Events panel, what you type there will not appear if you export it to Ancestry. Placeholder or not - maybe in this instance Ancestry does not handle the placeholder well. (It does export quite well to the HTML export.)
  • To enter an occupation, use the person's name tag - the left most one on the bottom bar. The occupation field is top right.
  • For residence at a particular time (eg from an Electoral Roll or Census), enter the date and location in those fields.
  • You would use the Occupation Event if the person changed occupation at a certain time or place -
The Events in the Attached (from Ancestry) all have the Event name changed in iFamily.
what you type there will not appear if you export it to Ancestry.
What you mean is that " what you type there will not appear after you import it into Ancestry" - sorry to be pedantic. It appears, from what you say, that Ancestry.com ignores the Event TYPE record.

What is entered in the Event Name field in iFamily will appear in the Gedcom file in the Event TYPE record.

A person's title and occupation change during his/her life and should be entered into iFamily with a date when the new status started. For instance the Queen of England has lots of Titles other than being a Queen. Each one her hundreds of Titles could be entered as events with the date set to the day she was given that Title. A similar argument goes for Occupations - they change over time from Student to Lawyer to Politician to ... (what does a spent pollie become?)

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:09 am

Originally posted by curriouscat
What you mean is that " what you type there will not appear after you import it into Ancestry." - sorry to be pedantic, It appears, from what you say, that Ancestry.com ignores the Event TYPE record.
Absolutely correct. I'm glad we got that sorted out. :)

I hope Scott could follow our pedantry.