IPhoto picture import

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

IPhoto picture import

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:47 pm

Originally posted by JCF

I just created a new file (from a GEDCOM that had photo links) and, as expected, pictures were not displayed in the file. I went to iPhoto, and was merrily, and successfully, importing pictures from my iPhoto's Genealogy album by drag-and-drop. :) Then, to my surprise, I suddenly ran across a group of photos in that album that would not import with drag-and-drop, either into iFamily's pictures pane or the edit picture window or onto the person's button. I do get the picture's title but not the image. :( In the iFamily edit window I get a message " Unable to load the original picture from file: User/JCF/Docs/:Family Data/Pictures/person's name (I suppose I get this because I have " always copy" set to ON, and the photos I had already imported were there). I'm using iPhoto 6. My photos were scanned on an HP all-in-one, and the image is still displayed in the HP Gallery. I tried dragging it from there, but that didn't work at all. If the image is in the iPhoto main Library and also in the Album, where else do I look for it on my computer? Frankly, I have never understood iPhoto's storage system ... I thought that if it were displayed in iPhoto, it was successfully there in iPhoto's Library.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

IPhoto picture import

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:29 am

JCF wrote:I just created a new file (from a GEDCOM that had photo links) and, as expected, pictures were not displayed in the file. I went to iPhoto, and was merrily, and successfully, importing pictures from my iPhoto's Genealogy album by drag-and-drop. :) Then, to my surprise, I suddenly ran across a group of photos in that album that would not import with drag-and-drop, either into iFamily's pictures pane or the edit picture window or onto the person's button. I do get the picture's title but not the image. :( In the iFamily edit window I get a message " Unable to load the original picture from file: User/JCF/Docs/:Family Data/Pictures/person's name (I suppose I get this because I have " always copy" set to ON, and the photos I had already imported were there). I'm using iPhoto 6. My photos were scanned on an HP all-in-one, and the image is still displayed in the HP Gallery. I tried dragging it from there, but that didn't work at all. If the image is in the iPhoto main Library and also in the Album, where else do I look for it on my computer? Frankly, I have never understood iPhoto's storage system ... I thought that if it were displayed in iPhoto, it was successfully there in iPhoto's Library.
Please ensure that the original image file has a suitable file extension such as .JPG, .TIFF, .... or any of the other 216 file types that iFamily handles. It may be best to open the image in Preview and then use File - Save As rather than upsetting iPhoto6 by renaming the file.

Also, if the picture was originally created on OS9 and contains a file fork then iFamily will not handle it.

Please be aware that when you upgrade from iPhoto6 to iPhoto08 then all the path names to the image files will probably get changed. This type of change also happened in previous iPhoto upgrades. So if you drag images from iPhoto into iFamily then you MUST have " Always Copy" turned ON. i have no idea what Apple will do in the next upgrade of iPhoto but I reckon, based on past experience, that they will possibly change the path to its files again.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

IPhoto picture import

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:29 pm

Originally posted by JCF

Thanks Keith, for your quick reply :) Using your suggestions, and searching in the bowels of iPhoto, I was able to get the missing pictures imported. Be sure I did have " Always Copy" on ... I do not want to go through this again... The problem was that apparently I have several copies of some of them in iPhoto, and I had to dig back for the originals also some of the scans were done longer ago than I had thought so they were in the " Archives" under various years. I eventually used iPhoto and Preview and both drag& drop and copy& paste in various combinations. I realize I have to spend time to get my iPhoto files cleaned up... not so much fun as genealogy...
Thanks again....