Father with children with different mothers

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:27 am

Originally posted by clique

I have a situation from the 1700s where there is a man who fathered 3 children with his wife and 4 children with 4 different women to whom he was never married - all nicely laid out in his will. How do I prevent these women from showing up as step-mothers and as spouses? This is particularly important because the time frames overlap.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:06 pm

clique wrote:I have a situation from the 1700s where there is a man who fathered 3 children with his wife and 4 children with 4 different women to whom he was never married - all nicely laid out in his will. How do I prevent these women from showing up as step-mothers and as spouses? This is particularly important because the time frames overlap.
There are lots of situations like that, especially in countries/ religions /cultures where polygamy is permitted (or even encouraged).

To change a parent-child relationship you click on the mid-point of the parent-child relationship line. Please make sure that, in Permissions. you have checked " Show Relationship Handles"

You cannot prevent the relationships to the additional spouses from being displayed and reported. You can however click on the Labels for " Husband" and " Wife" and change the Labels. This is a global change and it is not recorded for each individual relationship.

If you have inadvertently entered something in the Marriage Date, Place or Notes fields then you will have created a Marriage Event between two people.

To delete a Marriage Event select the Events Tab in the lower half of the main window, select the MARR event and press the [-] button.

Keith