Birth-dates unknown - why can't I put c or circa?

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:01 pm

Originally posted by Roger

I have several ancestors that I only have approximate birth and death dates for. I would like to put a " c" or " circa" before these dates so I can see at first glance these dates are not accurate, but when I try to do this I get a format restriction warning. Is it possible another way?

I am running iFamily for Leopard 2.403

Thanks

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Originally posted by jimwinfrey

Roger, iFamily for Jungle Beasts does abt dates. I use abt where I used to use est and circa. My wish is that iFamily would accept date ranges. It is important to me to know that an event from some date to some date, especially if I cannot account for the events that happened before or after. Keith works hard to accomodate us so I'm not really complaining.

Jim

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:21 am

Roger wrote:I have several ancestors that I only have approximate birth and death dates for. I would like to put a " c" or " circa" before these dates so I can see at first glance these dates are not accurate, but when I try to do this I get a format restriction warning. Is it possible another way? I am running iFamily for Leopard 2.403. Thanks
Hi Roger

iFamily accepts c, circa, abt, about, bef, before, aft and after as a qualifier prefix for a date. They are all converted on entry to the qualifiers used by the Gedcom 5.5 Standard which are ABT, BEF and AFT.

You need to enter a space after the qualifier.

iFamily does not support BETWEEN dates. If a person was a member of the Armed Forces between 1914 and 1918 you should enter two Events, one for joining the army in 1914 and another for discharge from the army in 1918. Each event can then have additional information and Source References added to them. Other events during that period (campaigns fought, a marriage event or children born or ... ) will then be listed in the correct chronological sequence when displayed or printed.

If the date that you want to enter is an uncertainty like " it happened sometime between 1920 and 1922" then you should enter it as an ABOUT date and then add the date range and reasons for the uncertainty in the Notes field.

Keith