Date Ranges

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Date Ranges

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Originally posted by jillaine

I have several (many? tons? gazillions?) of " between" dates -- date ranges. For example, if we don't have a death date for someone, but we have the date they wrote their will and the date it was probated or inventoried, then we can say that they died between " 1678-1682" , or even more specifically, " btw 30 Mar 1678 - 3 Jun 1682"

a. It appears that iFamily does not support date ranges. When I try to enter them, I get the error window telling me all the different ways that dates can/must be entered there is no option for " between" or date ranges.

b. I wonder what happened to all my previous date ranges from the GEDCOM import. (oops, keith, here's another one...)

All other genealogy programs I've used and tried support this feature.

Related to dates, I have another question
There's the whole Julian/Gregorian calendar thing.

FTM recognized when you entered a date in that particular time frame that it should be a hyphenated or slashed date, such as

3 Mar 1678/9

iFamily does not seem to support even manual entry of such dates.

Again, I wonder what happened to all my gregorian (or were they julian?) dates from the GEDCOM. I *think* they got converted to the earlier year.

Thanks!

-- Jillaine

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Date Ranges

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:27 pm

Hi Jillaine

a. iFamily for Tiger does not allow the user to enter " Between" dates but does allow you to enter About, Before and After dates. To record information about a date range please enter something appropriate in the Notes field for the Event.

b. When iFamily encounters a Between date in a Gedcom file it converts it to an About date and appends the information from the Gedcom file in the event's notes.

c. iFamily for Tiger does not support the split date formats for the change to the Gregorian calendar - the rules are different in different countries. iFamily does not support any of the 39 non-Gregorian calendars that are in current use (refer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_calendars ). We applied the KISS principle to dates.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Date Ranges

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:02 pm

Originally posted by jillaine
Keith wrote: c. iFamily for Tiger does not support the split date formats for the change to the Gregorian calendar - the rules are different in different countries. iFamily does not support any of the 39 non-Gregorian calendars that are in current use (refer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_calendars). We applied the KISS principle to dates.

Well, I&#39m much less worried about the non-Gregorian calendars *currently* in use than I am about the pre-Gregorian calendars used by my ancestors.

You might run into a bunch of resistance around this, because serious researchers are sticklers for entering dates (and places, for that matter) according to what is on the specific record.

In the meantime, what do you advise people to record when they see, for example, a New England colonial record that has the date:

5 March 1687/88

And if, by chance, your answer is 5 Mar 1687, then I have a case that is quite problematic, because I have a marriage date for the parents of this child that is 31 March 1687. But their child was NOT born a few weeks *before* this marriage, but almost a year *after*...

And I&#39ll definitely need to know what happened to GEDCOM imports that had such dates. It *sounds* like the first year was recorded and the rest of it was placed in notes?

Thanks.

-- Jillaine

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Date Ranges

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:57 am

Originally posted by firetruck

Keith, I have a follow up question to this discussion. In the events tab Military Service is one of the options. Military service generally isn't just for one day but rather over a period of time. What if a person served from 1942-1944? Given the date restriction is your suggestion to just enter 1942? Guidance would be appreciated.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Date Ranges

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:15 am

Originally posted by curriouscat
Firetruck wrote: In the events tab Military Service is one of the options. Military service generally isn't just for one day but rather over a period of time. What if a person served from 1942-1944? Given the date restriction is your suggestion to just enter 1942? Guidance would be appreciated.
Would it work if you entered 1842 at the 'enlistment' date and 1844 as the 'discharge' date? That is, put two dates in your Event record.

I've done that for all military service records. Enlisted 2 Feb 1916. Then Dischanged 6 June 1919.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Date Ranges

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:45 am

Originally posted by cwayne
firetruck wrote:Keith, I have a follow up question to this discussion. In the events tab Military Service is one of the options. Military service generally isn't just for one day but rather over a period of time. What if a person served from 1942-1944? Given the date restriction is your suggestion to just enter 1942? Guidance would be appreciated.

Actually I'm finding out the power of this database by avoiding the between dates (Like that shown above). Rather you can now start showing how events actually occur. So for example if your ancestor began serving in 1942, you use the _MILT tag and name the event as Enlisted in US Navy. Say your ancestor went home on leave and sired your uncle in 1943, then you will see the birth of the child prior to him leaving service in 1944 (e.g., _MILT = Honorable Discharge from service). Using the database as a timeline as opposed to a note pad gives you considerable more control over your data and family history.

Just my 2¢.