Project Views

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Project Views

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:17 am

Originally posted by gombi

I cannot understand what project views are or do. I click on ProjectViews - Add/Edit/Activate - Select as Current ..... and nothing happens, even though I have created a number of views for different focal people. Same thing if I click on the icon A/PV. Cannot find any mention of Project Views in the Help file, nor in the Forum. What am I missing?

Otherwise, am most impressed with the new version - except that I keep playing with all the settings rather than doing any new work!

Geoff

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Project Views

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:48 am

gombi wrote:I cannot understand what project views are or do. I click on ProjectViews - Add/Edit/Activate - Select as Current ..... and nothing happens, even though I have created a number of views for different focal people. Same thing if I click on the icon A/PV. Cannot find any mention of Project Views in the Help file, nor in the Forum. What am I missing?Otherwise, am most impressed with the new version - except that I keep playing with all the settings rather than doing any new work!

Geoff
" I keep playing with all the settings rather than doing any new work!"
Yeah, that's a problem.

In the Project View Add/Edit dialog there is actually a Help button that says

Project Views

A Project View may contain as many people as you like.

There is a special type of Project View called an " Ancestral View" where all you need to define is the the root person and the people in the Ancestral View are then automatically calculated as being all the people who are ancestors of the root person.

You may create as many Project Views as you like, for instance you might have one Project View called " Irish Immigrants to USA" , another called " People born in Scotland" and another called " Politicians and Other Rogues" .

Once a Project View has been defined and activated you may add people to the view using OptionKey+Click in the Context Diagram. To remove a person from the active Project View you also use OptionKey+Click.

Once a Project View has been defined and activated the people in that view are highlighted in the Context Diagram.

Is that what you missed?

Maybe I need to elaborate on Project Views?

You can also combine Project Views using the Boolean operators AND, IOR, XOR and NOT. If you are not familiar with these terms then they are explained in English when you select one of the options. There is also a Venn Diagram that displays what these terms mean.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Project Views

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:30 pm

Originally posted by jimwinfrey
gombi wrote:I cannot understand what project views are or do. I click on ProjectViews - Add/Edit/Activate - Select as Current ..... and nothing happens, even though I have created a number of views for different focal people. Same thing if I click on the icon A/PV. Cannot find any mention of Project Views in the Help file, nor in the Forum. What am I missing?

Otherwise, am most impressed with the new version - except that I keep playing with all the settings rather than doing any new work!

Geoff
Thanks for the explanation on Project View. My data is made up of the families that made up my grandkids and a one name study. The one name study has about 600 unrelated families made up of about 3,000 people that share my surname. Is there a way in Project View that I can set up a project that includes everybody NOT related to the focus person?

Thanks,

Jim

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Project Views

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:14 pm

jimwinfrey wrote:
gombi wrote:I cannot understand what project views are or do. I click on ProjectViews - Add/Edit/Activate - Select as Current ..... and nothing happens, even though I have created a number of views for different focal people. Same thing if I click on the icon A/PV. Cannot find any mention of Project Views in the Help file, nor in the Forum. What am I missing?

Geoff
Thanks for the explanation on Project View. My data is made up of the families that made up my grandkids and a one name study. The one name study has about 600 unrelated families made up of about 3,000 people that share my surname. Is there a way in Project View that I can set up a project that includes everybody NOT related to the focus person?
Thanks, Jim
In the dialog for Combine Project Views Using AND/OR I have initially left out the options ro select NOR and NAND - but you will notice that there is a rectangular box surrounding the Venn Diagram to allow for displaying NOR (neither nor) and NAND (not AND). If I implement NAND and NOT then that covers all possible ways of combining two views.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Project Views

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:25 pm

In the dialog for Combine Project Views Using AND/OR I have initially left out the options ro select NOR and NAND - but you will notice that there is a rectangular box surrounding the Venn Diagram to allow for displaying NOR (neither nor) and NAND (not AND). If I implement NAND and NOT then that covers all possible ways of combining two views.

Thanks Keith,

For Lesson 2, how can I create a Project View that includes everybody in my database and a second one that contains only the people who are in my family group (related by blood or marriage)? Using the NOT function would subtract them and create what I need.

Thanks,

Jim

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Project Views

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:34 pm

The PruneMinorDynasties function does exactly what I need. If there was a button to click saying " Add to Project View" that would be a powerful. The minor dynasties is where I spend most of my time trying to connect them to the major dynasty.

Jim

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Project Views

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:06 am

Originally posted by gombi

Thanks, Keith. I had read the help notes but they didn't mean much to me - think I was looking for something other than the Project View actually does. I thought it would change the context diagram, which, of course, it doesn't.

I have made some progress in that I now have a View for people born in a certain place - but to obtain that, I had to go to Preferences and turn on Show Pop Up Details, then Option Click on those who showed up as having been born in that place, a slow and laborious process. Made more difficult in that the rellies go back to 16xx and I can show only 6 generations at a time. If I go to the Find window, I can find all those born in the relevant place, but I cannot then mark the lot as part of the current project view - I still have to seek each one individually in the context diagram and Option Click them?

Having done that, I cannot see them all when I make that the current project view because they span more than the 6 generations, and may not be direct ancestors of the focal person [small rural grouping - suspect a fair bit of inbreeding - families from both sides closely related!]

I now see how the Project View works but unless I am still missing something, it appears to be not worth the effort to find, eg, all persons born in XXXX. This is not a complaint - just a comment from someone who was asking for more than he deserved?

Geoff

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Project Views

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:09 pm

jimwinfrey wrote:The PruneMinorDynasties function does exactly what I need. If there was a button to click saying " Add to Project View" that would be a powerful. The minor dynasties is where I spend most of my time trying to connect them to the major dynasty. Jim
I assume you have found the Reports - Dynasties Report which is another option / aid for doing what I think you are doing.

I suspect that Project Views are useful for a lot of alternative ways of looking at the data - I need your feedback to help me understand what code to write - please keep this thread flowing.

Keith