Images for Event Places

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Images for Event Places

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:08 am

Originally posted by jstein

Hello,
I like the Google Map option for Event Place locations. Am I missing a way to store additional images for a location? For example, an image of a house that multiple generations grew up in, or a plat map of a region?
Many thanks!

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Images for Event Places

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:24 am

jstein wrote:Hello,
I like the Google Map option for Event Place locations. Am I missing a way to store additional images for a location? For example, an image of a house that multiple generations grew up in, or a plat map of a region?
Many thanks!
Are you missing something? - I do not know what you have actually found versus what you would like to find. So I do not know what you are " missing" . Different people use iFamily in different ways. Some have discovered ways of doing things that I never knew about or expected, especially where Google Maps is concerned.

Some hints to whet your appetite

Whilst you are looking at the Google Map web page withing iFamily you will notice some menu options in the Google web page. One of them is Images and it will display images related to the place that you have found on the map. You might even find a picture of the very house where your great-grandfather lived - possibly linked in by Google from an estate agent's web page with a For Sale sign on it. Once you have the page of images displayed you can copy them into your clipboard. Then when you have dismissed the Google Maps dialog you can paste them onto a person in the Context Diagram of into the Pictures pane.

If you like you can select and copy the whole web page of images using Cmd+A then Cmd+C . When you paste the " whole web page" into the pictures pane iFamily will rip the images and discard the text.

And if the address is in San Francisco (heaven forbid) then you can even download the 3D stuff that Google took when they cruised around with 8 web cams attached to the top of their truck - you might even get to see your neighbour walking the dog !!. The things they let Google do in the US of A !!

Does that answer your question?

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Images for Event Places

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:51 pm

Originally posted by jstein

Thanks for the quick response!

What I'm looking for is the ability to link other, non-Google map image locations to an Event Place. The example I have is a photograph I own of a house several generations lived in that no longer exists. I'm tying to find if I can link the image to a location similar to how you can add multiple images for a person and figured the place to do that would be where the Google maps function lives.

I've been able to drag external images into the Google Maps image pane, and while I'm in the Event Place Map panel, I can flip back and forth between the Google maps and any additional images I've dragged in from iPhoto, but when I attempt to save and close, I get the message " Unable to find Google geocode. The value returned was 'undefined'" . I'm assuming I get this message because the external photos aren't Google maps, which makes sense.

Perhaps the ability to add external location images is an enhancement request, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't me overlooking a save button or other drop down feature first. I hope helps clarify what I meant. :)

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Images for Event Places

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:00 pm

Sorry but at the moment you can only associate a picture with a person or a source, not to an event place.

Keith

jke98226

Images for events

Post by jke98226 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:42 pm

Keith,

Are there any plans to allow photos for an event in addition to people and sources? It seems like, for example, a wedding photo should be attached to the Marriage Event instead of to both individuals separately.

Thanks,
Jon

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Re: Images for events

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:03 am

jke98226 wrote:Keith,

Are there any plans to allow photos for an event in addition to people and sources? It seems like, for example, a wedding photo should be attached to the Marriage Event instead of to both individuals separately.Thanks, Jon
Hi Jon

If you drag the same image into iFamily more than once then iFamily only saves one copy of the original in its /Pictures folder.

What I suggest that you do for a wedding photo is as follows
  • Drag it into the Pictures pane in the bottom half of the main window. Then crop a head and shoulders mugshot for the current Selected Person. Add a date, title and notes to the picture and (in the new version of IFamily) add a Source Reference.
  • Now drag the thumbnail from the Pictures pane onto someone else in the Context Diagram. Crop a different mugshot and change the title - the rest of the data such as Notes, Date and Source Reference are automatically cloned by iFamily.
  • Repeat step 2 - dragging the thumbnail from the Pictures pane onto other people in the Context Diagram.
  • For people not in the current Context Diagram right click on the thumbnail and copy the data into the internal clipboard, adjust the Context Diagram, right click on someone and drop the photo again.
With the above procedure you end up with a nice mugshot for each person AND when you double click on the thumbnail in the pictures pane you can view the whole wedding party.

I assure you that the above process does not use much disk space (iFamily is mean with disk space) and the cost of the disk space is probably just a few cents per wedding photo (and judging by what is going on in the "markets" our cents may be worth less tomorrow that they are today).

Keith