Married same person twice

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu May 22, 2008 4:50 am

Originally posted by curriouscat

I have a family in my tree where the same people were married twice. First in say 1990. They divorced in 1995 and then remarried in 2004. :P

How do I add the second marriage to an existing person who is already married to that person? :-/

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu May 22, 2008 8:04 am

Originally posted by NigelRichman

Hi curiouscat,

You can, of course, Divorce them by clicking on the + sign to the right of the Marriage info (and adding a new Marriage event) but it does seem that it is not possible to add another Marriage (you can add Marriage License, Marriage Banns etc).

My guess is that you can't until Keith gets back from his holiday (or work break) and adds a new feature.

Unless someone else can see an alternative.

Nigel

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu May 22, 2008 8:24 am

Originally posted by Lesley

click on the up facing arrow in the middle and a drop down will be presented that you can fill in to suit as its the same people no drama ....... notes should cover the circumstance

regards Lesley in tassie

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu May 22, 2008 7:44 pm

Originally posted by NigelRichman

hi,

That was the requester I referred to but you cannot add another Marriage event as far as I can see.

The options are in the attached png image.

Nigel

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri May 23, 2008 8:42 am

Originally posted by Lesley

you can edit OTHER Marriage events Event Name to Remarried

I maybe do it different ? when you click on family at the bottom you will then see the list of children on the bottom area if any qnd hubby on top left wife on the top right to add another spouse to either click on the + on hubbys side to add another hubby for the wife and vice versa
thing is with them marrying each other twice (a rare event ) you will only have one set of parents but will be able to put in the marriage notes an explanation

there may be a better way around this but I dont know as have not had to do that
regards lesley

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat May 24, 2008 2:44 pm

you can edit OTHER Marriage events Event Name to Remarried

I maybe do it different ? when you click on family at the bottom you will then see the list of children on the bottom area if any qnd hubby on top left wife on the top right to add another spouse to either click on the + on hubbys side to add another hubby for the wife and vice versa
thing is with them marrying each other twice (a rare event ) you will only have one set of parents but will be able to put in the marriage notes an explanation

there may be a better way around this but I dont know as have not had to do that
regards lesley
Thanks Lesley,

The safest and correct way of handling this (rare) situation is to add an OTHER Event (of type EVEN) and then to change the name of the event to " Remarried" . It is then clear to everyone what has happened. It is also unambiguous as far as any other program that reads a Gedcom File. If there is a second divorce related to the second marriage then I would also enter the second divorce as an OTHER Event and add a note to indicate that it relates to the second marriage.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:47 am

Originally posted by curriouscat

Thank you Keith.

And the silly people who married twice did in fact divorce twice. :)

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:24 am

Originally posted by jillaine smith

At least they're consistent. -)