Problem with export to Geni.com

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri May 16, 2008 12:55 am

Originally posted by Kirkman

Hey Keith,

Geni.com recently added GEDCOM import function for their website, which is something I've anxiously awaited.

Anyway, when I uploaded my iFamily-generated GEDCOM to their site, there was a problem regarding children and parents/stepparents.

Let me give an example situation: Lilburn and Paddy are husband and wife. They have 3 kids. Lilburn dies and Paddy remarries John. In iFamily I have indicated Lilburn is the father and John the stepfather for these 3 kids.

However upon import, Geni is reversing the position of Lilburn and John. Now John is showing up as the natural father and Lilburn as the stepfather.

It seems like the problem is related to the use of MREL and FREL. According to one guy at Geni, these are not standard Gedcom tags. I guess the website wasn't set up to process these, and so things are getting jumbled. They estimate it will take a while to fix the problem, as it is lower priority.

Is there a way for me to export my gedom from iFamily without MREL and FREL?

--Josh

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun May 18, 2008 12:35 pm

Originally posted by Lesley

before uploading gedcom read about the company in full......

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_ge ... unche.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geni.com

see in the about us
Geni was founded by former executives and early employees of PayPal, Yahoo! Groups, Ebay, and Tribe. It is backed by venture capital firms Founders Fund and Charles River Ventures.

regards Lesley

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun May 25, 2008 1:56 am

Kirkman wrote:Hey Keith,

Geni.com recently added GEDCOM import function for their website, which is something I've anxiously awaited.

Anyway, when I uploaded my iFamily-generated GEDCOM to their site, there was a problem regarding children and parents/stepparents.

Let me give an example situation: Lilburn and Paddy are husband and wife. They have 3 kids. Lilburn dies and Paddy remarries John. In iFamily I have indicated Lilburn is the father and John the stepfather for these 3 kids.

However upon import, Geni is reversing the position of Lilburn and John. Now John is showing up as the natural father and Lilburn as the stepfather.

It seems like the problem is related to the use of MREL and FREL. According to one guy at Geni, these are not standard Gedcom tags. I guess the website wasn't set up to process these, and so things are getting jumbled. They estimate it will take a while to fix the problem, as it is lower priority.

Is there a way for me to export my gedom from iFamily without MREL and FREL?

--Josh
Hi Josh

_MREL and _FREL are Custom Tags that are generated by iFamily to indicate the relationship (Natural or Step) between a parent and a child. So to avoid the problem that is created during the Geni import:

When exporting the Gedcom file from iFamily turn off the option to " Include Custom Tags in the Gedcom File" .

Keith