How to insert a partner (boyfriend or girlfriend)

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:45 am

Originally posted by BOBBO

Hi to everibody...

(sorry for my terribile english... I'm italian)

I saw that is possibile to add, for example, a wife....

Mi cousin is not married but he live with her girlfriend (partner) and they have a baby....

Is possibile to add het as a partner/girlfriend and NOT as a wife?

THANKS!!!

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:04 pm

Hi Roberto

In the Family pane in the lower half of the main window you can click on the " Husband" and " Wife" LABELS just above each person's name. You can change them to read " Husband/Wife" , Partner" , " Spouse" or no label at all.

Add the your cousin's partner but do NOT enter anything in the marriageDate, marriagePlace or marriageNotes fields else iFamily will assume they are married.

If they already have a Marriage Event it can be deleted on the Events pane at the bottom of the main window.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Originally posted by BOBBO

I did it!

Thanks!

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Originally posted by jmjrph

But now it wont let me change the " husband" to a female because it says they are married. I did not fill in any marriage data. I'll have to dig around the forum for something on same sex relationships. I think it is mentioned.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:54 am

To add a same sex partner you need to Right Click on the Focal Person in the Context Diagram and then select " Attach a Same Gender Spouse/Partner.

If you have already connected two people as spouses and you want to change the gender of one of them, then you may need to:
  • Disconnect the husband/wife relationship - use Right Click and select Disconnect Person...
  • Make sure that they both have birth years - approximate dates will do - like " about 1960"
  • Make sure that they both have the same gender - use the first pane (tabView) in the lower half of the main window.
  • Right Click on the Focal Person and select " Attach a Same Gender Spouse/Partner
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Originally posted by SteveBUK

I have read this several times but still cannot see how to show that the people are unmarried (I must be having an off day!) I have added a child to an existing person, then added a mother for that child, but I cannot stop iFamily showing the mother as a spouse. I have opened the family pane but it does not seem to display any labels. I am trying to show a man who fathered an illegitimate child and then married someone else.

Thanks for your tolerance

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:08 am

Originally posted by favell44

I have several cases where a person had a child with one (or more) partners while unmarried, but also had one (or more) marriages. I find myself forced to not show any partnership information above people's names because otherwise if I choose husband/wife (say) then every liaison is shown as husband or wife regardless of its nature likewise if I choose partner (say) when some children seem to have been born as a result of anything but a partnership (eg rape, child of a prostitute, etc) all relationships are shown as 'partner', and partner seems wrong, since today it has positive connotations. I guess the only loss is the handy little labels above names, and I suppose the relevant information is carried in the events table.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:10 am

There are several issues in this thread

In V2.383 - Changing a Married Person's Gender - Simplified changing a married person's gender and added a right click menu option for Change Gender in the Context Diagram.

If you do not like the labels Husband and Wife in the Family pane then you can select 'No Labels'

Keith

padua

Re: How to insert a partner (boyfriend or girlfriend)

Post by padua » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:26 am

I am having similar problem - don't know how to find page by number quoted V.2 ?
Great Grand mother was not married to father of grandson BUT I have studied the reply etc - perhaps it is my NZ Brain.
I need to be able to change the TYPE from MARR ?
Can someone take me through in easy steps please- or email me merrill@ihug.co.nz thanks

I am still trying to work this our - Great grannie had several children but only two to her legal husband
How do i show children of hers but do not know the father ? so need a 'blank' patner ? etc thanks
Last edited by padua on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Re: How to insert a partner (boyfriend or girlfriend)

Post by Tom » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:12 pm

I don't believe you can change the event type but you can delete it and if necessary re-add it. If there is a marriage event listed in your great grand father's events then it can be deleted. Once this is done, select the "Family" tab and then click on "wife" or whatever appears above your great grandmother's name. The following will appear and you can make your selection to determine how you want the information to be displayed. This change will affect all relationships with regard to the marriage event between partners/spouses/husband and wives but it will not affect the offspring of those relationships, etc. I'm not sure if this addresses your problem.
Attachments
TinyGrab Screen Shot 12-11-13, 8.31.46 AM.png
TinyGrab Screen Shot 12-11-13, 8.31.46 AM.png (41.78 KiB) Viewed 8391 times
Tom