Notes, when exported to Genes Reunited

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:23 pm

Originally posted by p418unw

I like to periodically update my Genes Reunited tree with a gedcom from iFamily, which works fine, but if I have populated any of the small notes fields in iFamily, then this overrides the contents of the general personal notes in GR, so all I see is what I have entered in one of the small fields. I guess this is just a limitation of the GR tree program? For this reason, I avoid populating the small notes fields in iFamily because the general notes fields in my tree contain a lot of transcribed information, which I want to be shown in the Genes Reunited tree.

As a test of what is happening, I have just populated various notes fields for an individual from within the EVENTS TABLE. When exported to Genes Reunited, only the contents of the OCCUPATION NOTES are shown in the GR notes pane. I notice that the Occupation fields are at the top of the events table, so presume that GR is taking the first set of notes that it comes across.

I suspect there is no way round this, but thought I would bring this to your attention, in case there was a way of making an option to consolidate the contents of ALL notes fields when creating a gedcom, so that effectively only one set of notes is exported.

Peter

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:35 pm

This is a guess but when you export the Gedcom file from iFamily are you switching OFF the options for Indented Lines and for Custom Tags? Please send me a copy of the Gedcom file that you have exported from iFamily.

It may be that Genes Reunited prefers to have embedded NOTEs records rather than using a reference to a separate NOTEs record.

Has any other iFamily user come across the same problem when exporting Gedcom files to Genes Reunited?

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:31 pm

Yes, I do have the indented lines and custom tags options switched off

Here is a gedcom, where I have I have populated the events table notes fields for the person, John William Anstey b.1883

Peter

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:52 pm

p418unw wrote:Yes, I do have the indented lines and custom tags options switched off
Here is a gedcom, where I have I have populated the events table notes fields for the person, John William Anstey b.1883
Peter
Hi Peter

I have removed the hyper-link to the Gedcom file because it contained living people. The Gedcom file is fine so I can only assume that it is a problem with the Genes Reunited Gedcom Import function. Maybe there is something on their web site about it or maybe they are already aware of a problem.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:43 am

Originally posted by gmerrall
Keith Wilson wrote:
It may be that Genes Reunited prefers to have embedded NOTEs records rather than using a reference to a separate NOTEs record.

Has any other iFamily user come across the same problem when exporting Gedcom files to Genes Reunited?
I know Genes Reunited does do some odd stuff around notes but I've not looked at it closely enough to pick apart where it's sticking what. I'll have a look at a record and do some comparisons with someone who's died.

Cheers,
Graeme

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:55 am

I have had the following reply from GR

Dear Peter

Thanks for your email. I am sorry to hear that you have been having problems uploading your gedcom file. We haven't had any other reports of this. Please could you try uploading it again?

Please can you also try exporting your gedcom again from your family tree software? It must be exported as a gedcom 5.5 with the character set ANSI. You can then try to load the new version of your file to the site again.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Alex S
Genes Reunited Support Team

===============================

Subject : I have a question not in the FAQs
When importing a gedcom to my GR tree, from the genealogy program iFamily For Tiger, if there are any individual notes in the events table, one of these always overwrites the general notes.

Is there a way round this?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:08 am

Hi Peter

So Genes Reunited only accepts ANSI encoded files.

Open the iFamily Gedcom file in TextEdit

Use menu option Format - Plain Text

At line 12 change the string 1 CHAR UTF-8 to 1 CHAR ANSI

Save the file as Western (Windows Latin 1). If TextEdit only permits you to Save As UTF-8 then try that instead.

Now try to upload it to Genes Reunited

You should also read

http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/YaB ... 93450598/0

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:48 am

I have now done all that, just as you outlined.

I used the Ancestor John William Anstey b.1833

This time the note BAPTISM has overwritten the notes in GR.

A grab of the GR screen can be downloaded here http://www5.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?t=0x ... hrFcvV0rs7

The amended gedcom file can be downloaded here (it contains living relatives)

Peter

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:21 am

Hi Graeme,

The Gedcom file you posted is 100% valid.

Genes Reunited has a bug to fix.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:45 am

I have copied you in, for your information, on my reply to Genes Reunited.

Thanks

Peter