'whole' famiy tree diagram

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Originally posted by colindun

Is there a way to do a whole family tree diagram? Ancestors and Descendants are useful but sometimes I'd like to be able to create a chart showing how everyone connects.

Thanks.

Colin

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:47 am

colindun wrote:Is there a way to do a whole family tree diagram? Ancestors and Descendants are useful but sometimes I'd like to be able to create a chart showing how everyone connects.Thanks.Colin
We have people using iFamily who have more than 50,000 people in their database so the diagram that you requested (display all people) needs to have some limits.

My ggGrandfather had 84 grandchildren and a lot more gGrandchildren so the diagram can get very large very quickly.

However, we have previously been asked for a diagram that shows a person plus all their Near Relatives and I think I know what you want.

In V2.378 the simplest way of viewing such relationships is to look at the Relatives pane in the lower half of the main window. This is not a diagram but if you turn on all the options then it does contain a lot of the information that need.

In V2.381 (just released as an upgrade) the HTML Web pages also include an option to display the Near Relatives as a table (with hyper-links)

I hope the above helps ...

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Originally posted by Chris Knight

Keith.
One of the very few Windows programs I use at all frequently these days is Family Historian and only because it will show all relatives in a graphical manner. In other ways it's a real dog to say the least. I appreciate that iFamily offers several ways to look at relationships - not least the calculator you introduced into the People Index - but it would be great to have a graphical representation of all relatives. I know Family Historian can handle big databases quite quickly but have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and quite possibly the process is incompatible with iFamily's design.

I guess that in essence some sort of look ahead querying of the data is going on for a screensworth of diagram for the folk around the perimeter of the current focus so that dragging the diagram refreshes quickly.