Modifying event notes

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Modifying event notes

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:09 am

Originally posted by favell44

In my former program it was awkward to add notes to events, so I would enter a marriage at St Luke, Adelaide SA in the PLACE record as Adelaide, SA - St Luke (I know, a bit lazy)
Now that I have my 4000+ people on iFamily I want to separate the data so that the PLACE is Adelaide, SA and the NOTES say St Luke
At the moment I am going through person by person and cutting and pasting - serves me right
Is there a magic way to look at all PLACE records which contain the character " -"
If not then I shall continue my penance

(Hanging out for a big monitor for my ibook)

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Modifying event notes

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:19 am

I assume that you have looked at menu options Events - Event Places and Events - Event Places - Find and Replace? I couldn't actually see how they would help you ... The Events Places - Find and Replace dialog works on words that start with so space hyphen will be found but if any other character precedes the hyphen then it will not be found.

Personally " Adelaide, SA Saint Lukes" is a fine Place name and GoogleMaps will find " Adelaide, SA Saint Lukes" without any trouble. Of course, if you use " St Luke" it may end up pointing at Luke Street. Also there may be more than one St. Lukes in Adelaide.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Modifying event notes

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:05 am

Quick as always.

The reason is that I have dozens of people in Port Pirie (say), and if I get a Google map for one person then the fabulous iFamily feature that adds the image to everyone with events at Port Pirie will work a treat, but not when the name of the church (say) follows Port Pirie.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Modifying event notes

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:38 am

Worked like dream.
Have been getting the Google maps. Wonderful how I can attach a map to several hundred events at a time.
Going through all the event places also brought to light a few misspellings and data in the wrong field, so a worthwhile exercise.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Modifying event notes

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 am

Now that I have added google maps to hundreds of people, which has been so easy and so useful, there is a side effect which is mildly annoying, and for which there is no doubt a neat solution if I only knew how. It is this:
For virtually all people beyond the fairly recent the google map is the only picture associated with them. This means that little rectangles of map appear in ancestry charts that I want to print or put in pdf form. Is there a simple way of suppressing this?

Starting stopwatch NOW - will Keith break his record for a quick answer?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Modifying event notes

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:21 am

Hi favell44

When I wrote the HTML generation I noticed that the Google-Maps were being displayed as default pictures for each person and I didn't like it so I suppressed them.

I will have a look at other places, like the Ancestors and Descendants diagrams and give the user an option. Some people may prefer to have the map displayed, but I think the default should be not-shown

In the meantime, in the Pictures pane you could add a Placeholder picture - but it would be a bit tiring if you had more than a few to do.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Modifying event notes

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:28 am

Thanks Keith - on the ball as always.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Modifying event notes

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:40 am

In V2.381

In the Ancestors and Descendants Diagrams

In the Ancestors and Descendants RTF Reports

In the Story Generator

The user has an option to exclude the display of a Google Map if it is the default picture for a person.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Modifying event notes

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:03 am

Works like dream.
I can't tell you how incredibly good iFamily is. I am doing my best to make converts - I've become an evangelist.