Copying Sources from one database to another

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:48 am

Originally posted by jillaine smith

Hi Keith,

I have decided to create a new database to do a " one-name" research project. (All TAYLORs of earliest Massachusetts-- between 1630 and 1700).

In this database, I will cite a number of sources that I use in another database, without having to enter them all in again. Is there some way to do this currently? (I couldn't find any " Copy source" in the Add/Edit Source window.)

Thanks!

-- Jillaine

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:17 pm

In lieu of a response and my own inability to figure out how to copy sources from one database to another, I tried a different tactic. I post it here in case anyone else wants to do it.

I exported to GEDCOM just the branch of my master database that included direct descendants of the TAYLOR surname. The export included the sources of the master file.

I renamed the file. (It would be nice if upon GEDCOM export or GEDCOM import, one could control the name of the file. I went back and changed it from the finder.)

Also I noticed in the process that GEDCOM imports only go into a new file.

How, then, does one append contents of a GEDCOM into an *existing* file?
(I searched help for this to no avail.)

Thanks!

-- Jillaine

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:30 pm

I'd still love an answer about how to import a GEDCOM into an existing database. I'm not talking about copying specific individuals from one database to another (as is described elsewhere recently) but how to append the contents of a GEDCOM into an existing database. Thanks.

-- Jillaine

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:33 pm

Hi Jillaine

Sorry about the delay in responding

in iFamily you cannot append a Gedcom file to an existing database. You must first load the Gedcom file into a new iFamily database. You can then attach branches of the tree from one database to another by opening two databases and then right click on a ghost box in the target database,

I guess if you want to create a new database that just contains the Sources you could

1. In your source database use menu option People - Add Unconnected Person

2. To this unconnected person add a reference to every Source in the database.

3. With the unconnected person as the Focal Person do an export to a Gedcom file.

4. Use Gedcom Load to load the Gedcom file just created.

You should now have a database containing one person plus all the Sources.

I have never tried the above - let me know if it works.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:52 pm

Well, that's an interesting test to try. And I may. Thanks.

But it's not what I was looking for. I'm looking for a way to copy a source (and all its details-- no not citation information just source info) from one database to another existing (not new) database. I don't want to have to re-enter all that data. As I mentioned above, I came up with a variation, but as it turned out, it only brought over the sources for the branch I made, not ALL the sources in the database. That's actually probably preferable behavior generally speaking, but I still run into sources from the original database that I'd like copied over to the second database.

What would be great would be a " COPY" option on the master source item that you could select and then jump over to another database, and " PASTE" into the Add/Edit Source window, thereby creating a new source in the target database with all appropriate fields filled out.

Thanks, Keith.

-- Jillaine

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:11 am

In V2.379 there is a new menu option Sources - Clone Sources from Another Database. You can select one or more Sources that you want copied - iFamily will avoid creating any duplicates.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:20 pm

Keith,

Wow...

I just installed the new version 2.379 and tested out the cloning of sources feature.
It's REALLY nice. A very nicely done feature. Better than I've seen in any other genealogy software I've used.
Very simple (which I know you like) and very easy for the end-user (which I love!).
Really great.

Thank you so much.

-- Jillaine