Applying Source Citations to Facts or Events

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:59 pm

Originally posted by jillaine smith

I think I've been using Source Citation data-entry incorrectly, but before I change how I do anything, I figured I should find out how I *should* be using it. Here's what I have been doing:

I enter information about the person. Let's say it's the source for the person's Name.
Her name is Sarah Taylor. She was born in 1696 in Charlestown to John Taylor and his wife Katharine. This was recorded in the " Record-Book of the First Church of Charlestown" as transcribed in NEHGS Register volume 22, p. 326.

I've highlighted her, so her box is pink. I then click on the Sources button below.
Then I click on the + sign to add a source for her.
I find " Record-Book of the First Church of Charlestown" and select it.
I enter the page number, then I click over to the Topic column/box and enter:

Name, Birth

because this citation works for both. I then enter the text as it appears in the original source over in the Notes section of the citation.

When I generate a web page for this database, the page for this person has the source information at the bottom, but there is no link to it from either her name or her birth event.

So I'm now thinking that putting multiple events into the Topic box is incorrect and that I have to repeat the process for each " Topic" . [groan]

Please advise. Thanks.

-- Jillaine

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:09 am

In the HTML generation the Sources that are specific to the person's events are shown as a hyper-link in the table of events.

All other Sources References for that person - regardless of the " Topic: that you entered in the Reference - are simply listed. There is no hyper-link to the " Topic" . Once again this is based on the KISS principle.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Originally posted by jillaine smith

Keith, thanks for the quick response. So just to clarify, so I'm really clear about how to use and not use citations, a citation is not attached to an event by what is typed in the Topic box? That's where I'd gone wrong, I think. I thought that typing Birth into the topic box would attach the citation to the Birth event, but that's incorrect? I believe I came to this conclusion because " Birth" appears in the Topic box when a citation has been added to a birth event. So I assumed the reverse was also true (if I added " Birth" to the topic box, it would attach itself to the Birth event).

So what is the purpose of the Topic box?

And, again, just to be crystal clear, if I want a citation attached to a specific event, I need to go through the Events tab and add from there-- and do so for each event? I can't add a citation to an event through the Sources tab?

Thanks!

-- Jillaine