Backing up using a second drive

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:48 pm

Originally posted by lencm

I use two internal drives, each with complete sets of files. Originally, the second drive files were created with Carbon Copy Cloner, but updates recently consist simply of dragging files from the drive where they were originally created to the second drive to serve as a backup. For example, an updated Word Processing file will be dragged across to that second drive as a duplicate to replace the older version already there from a previous update. I have installed iFamily for Tiger on both drives, just like all my other Applications, in the Application folders, so I have duplicated the Applications programs on each drive. Of course, I can boot my computer from either drive. This seems to work fine for all my files except iFamily.

Here is where my problem comes in. When I drag the iFamily for Tiger set of files created on the first drive's Document folder to the identical position in the second drive (and replace the old set of files already there), the copy of iFamily on that second drive accesses everything fine except the imported picture files. It even shows the tiny pictures with the names and shows them in the lower 'Pictures' pane. But I cannot edit them when I attempt to access them. These imported original picture files were brought across to the second drive with all the other data. The program knows where they are as far as the path is concerned as the paths for each drive are identical except for the volume name. I just have to use the edit screen to tell it to go there through the finder feature at the top. I have to do this for each picture individually. WHAT A PAIN!

This system of backup has saved my bacon on at least two occasions when one hard drive died. Others must be doing this using a second internal or external hard drive as a complete backup system. I assume I would have the same problem in either case.

How do I get around this problem?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:09 am

Originally posted by pewterpot

Just dragging a file from one drive to another doesn't always work - but don't ask me why!

I would suggest using a nice piece of software called 'SuperDuper' to copy hard drives. It's reasonably cheap and has never let me down.

It also works well with external drives that have a Firewire connection. Firewire is needed if the external is required to be used as a startup disk.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:53 pm

Originally posted by tom

The links to the imported pics point to the original drive and not to the second drive where you dragged the iTiger folder. In all likelihood your cloned drives have different names and therefore the paths to files are different. If you store your photos physically in the iTiger folder and then the folder is copied to another drive the links to the photos should work. Also, I believe that firewire is required for a PowerPC processor but that external USB drives can be made bootable as long as one is using a Mac with an Intel processor. Firewire is faster and usually more reliable, however.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:00 pm

In iFamily the path to a file in the /Pictures folder is re-calculated to be relative to the iFamilyForTigerData folder (the parent of the /Pictures folder). This means that the iFamilyForTigerData folder can be moved anywhere and it should still work provided that the sub-folder /Pictures is moved with it.

Keith