Total number of individuals in tree

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:28 pm

Originally posted by Melissa

Hi Keith
When I activate the Index of People Current icon I see that the tally of the number entered in my tree when I look down the left hand column of the ID number attributed to each entry, is 1102. When I look at the number tally at the top of that list of people next to the words " Press the Return Key to activate the database search" is says 1062.
I have checked that there are no duplications. Which is the correct number and what is the reason for the discrepancy? Does this discrepancy have to do with ID numbers being attributed to individuals and not reassigned if a person is removed or a branch is deleted and re-entered?

Thanks Melissa

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:19 am

Hi Melissa

When you import from a Gedcom file iFamily uses the numeric IDs in the Gedcom file. So if you have previously linked the numeric IDs to some manual filing system then the numbers stay the same after import into iFamily.

When you add a person to iFamily it assigns the next " maximum numeric ID +1" to the new person.

When you delete a person from iFamily then his/her numeric ID is never reused unless you undo the delete.

So there may be gaps in the numbering of people. They are really just meaningless numbers as far as iFamily is concerned but they are sometimes useful for (a) linking to a manual filing system, or (b) distinguishing between two people who have the same name when they have no birth date. It is highly unlikely for two people to have the same name and the same birthDate, it is even more unlikely that two people have the same name AND the same birthDate AND the same deathDate - unless, of course, the birth and death dates are empty.

In my family tree there is occasionally a case where a child has died young and his/her name was then given to a subsequent child of the same parents. I guess they had a reason.

Keith