Can't get merge to work

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Can't get merge to work

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:24 am

Originally posted by jasmuth

(msg was in FAQ topic, but moved to HELP as it is more appropriate :-)

The steps given in the FAQs ( http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/YaB ... 1179122591) don't work for me with version 2.275. Any suggestions?

* when right clicking on the ghost person, there is no option to " Copy someone from xxxxx " , there is only an option to " Attach existing person as relation "

* clicking on focal person instead allows selection of " Merge properties from another database" , but that operation can't be completed.
-- After selecting the database, and the person to merge, I click on " Merge selected person" and a window comes up.
-- The details to merge are displayed in the new window, but the only options are " close" and " undo all" . There doesn't appear to be anyway to execute the merge. If I press " close" , the window closes, but nothing is merged.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Can't get merge to work

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:09 pm

Hi Jasmuth
* when right clicking on the ghost person, there is no option to " Copy someone from xxxxx " , there is only an option to " Attach existing person as relation "
The option " Copy someone from another database " will only appear if you have another database open. Use menu option File - Open and open a second database. Select a person in the second database. Now right click on a ghost box in the first database.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Can't get merge to work

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:13 pm

* clicking on focal person instead allows selection of " Merge properties from another database" , but that operation can't be completed.
-- After selecting the database, and the person to merge, I click on " Merge selected person" and a window comes up.
-- The details to merge are displayed in the new window, but the only options are " close" and " undo all" . There doesn't appear to be anyway to execute the merge. If I press " close" , the window closes, but nothing is merged.
In the merge dialog there is a row of arrows down the centre of the dialog. Click on each arrow to merge the appropriate data from left to right. You can edit the text fields on the rh side of the dialog.

The Undo button is a " start again" - it undoes all the changes since the dialog was invoked.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Can't get merge to work

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:48 am

Keith Wilson wrote:
The option " Copy someone from another database " will only appear if you have another database open. Use menu option File - Open and open a second database. Select a person in the second database. Now right click on a ghost box in the first database.
Hi Keith, This operation worked once I had the 2nd database actually opened, but it was necessary to have already selected the person to merge in the 2nd database before right-clicking in the 1st database. Only the one person (selected in 2nd database) was merged - no other properties such as children came with it. Is this how it is supposed to work?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Can't get merge to work

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:03 am

Keith Wilson wrote:
In the merge dialog there is a row of arrows down the centre of the dialog. Click on each arrow to merge the appropriate data from left to right. You can edit the text fields on the rh side of the dialog.

The Undo button is a " start again" - it undoes all the changes since the dialog was invoked.
I now see how the data is immediately transferred when the arrow is clicked, but what I was hoping to do was transfer the relationships over. There is no arrow for that box.

Is there a way to merge one tree (or portion of a tree) into another? That is what I was really hoping to be able to do. Merging one person at a time is not that helpful.

Thanks