Minor merging hiccup

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Minor merging hiccup

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:29 am

Originally posted by annelb

:-/After several Reunion years, I really really like iFamily, especially the frequent updates! After merging two family branches, with typical " fumble fingers" , found that I'd merged one subject twice. No problem, delete one. Now that one subject has two identical life spans in the contextual diagram box, but only there. Elsewhere in the data base, he has only one life span, i.e. 1914-1943, which appears in the box as " 1914-1943 1914-1943" . I may be having a senior's moment, but I can't find a way to delete just one of these dates. It must be simple, but nothing seems to work without deleting the whole lot and starting again. Can you help?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Minor merging hiccup

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:41 am

Well - that a new one on me.

Can you email your database file to me so I can see it too.

The database file has file extension .FtkSql and in a folder called iFamilyForTigerData

If the database file is more than a few megabytes then please compress it using " Create Archive of ..." and then attach the .zip file to an email.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Minor merging hiccup

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:00 pm

Here is some offline correspondence

From me to Anne
I can only assume that you must have loaded a Gedcom file from somewhere and the guy's name in the Gedcom files was entered as " John Arthur BRIGGS 1914 - 1943" i.e. his birth and death years had been appended onto his surname. iFamily then looked at this name, and being just a stupid machine, it decided that his surname was " 1943" . To us human beings (thee and me) it would have been obvious that his last name is not " 1943" and we would have made the appropriate correction. Please change his name to be " John Arthur BRIGGS" instead of " John Arthur BRIGGS 1914 - 1943" and all will be OK.
And Anne's reply
Hi Keith - Many thanks - so simple when you think about it. He was originally on Reunion and was imported via Gedcom. Problem is now fixed. Thanks again.
Cheers, Anne