Should a foster parent be used here? How?

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:34 pm

Originally posted by hib

My great grandmother lived with her parents until her mother died when she was 9. She then lived with her aunt and uncle (her father's sister and husband) until she came of age. Since they became, in some sense, foster parents to her, how should I reflect this? Philosophically, I would view this as a foster parent relationship (there was no adoption, to my knowledge). What do others think?

Second, how do I incorporate this in iFamily. I started out making a " new" wife for her father and then tried to force this to be a foster relation but then this applied to all her siblings as well (which is not right). Or should I just leave the " foster parents" as sister and husband to her father and leave it at that?

OK. I just got the idea to right-click on the child and add a parent and then modify the relationship to a foster one. This seems to work and it " looks right" . Is this the right approach?

Thanks,
Al

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:55 pm

Originally posted by jimwinfrey

Al,

Maybe I am a purist but I see our job as recording facts about folks' lives. If there was no adoption or foster contracts involved, then in my opinion, you should not record these the relationships as such. I would probably opt to fully describe the details of the relationship in the Comments section for both the person and the care givers.

Jim

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:38 am

Originally posted by ricky

I would do the same...just make it a comment...and/or part of their Story...