Copying children in a merge

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:30 pm

Originally posted by hib

When trying to add an update to my family information using a gedcom file from a cousin, I am trying to use the File/Compare and Merge menu option (second one). There are arrows to copy over all the data except relationships (such as children). How can I easily copy over this information? I know about the alternative of having both files open and filling in a person one at a time by control-clicking and then copying over. But this process is slow enough for one person let alone copying over many. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks much.

Al

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:37 am

Hi Al,

I think this answers your question, if not then please let me know.

Assumption 1) Assume that we have two iFamily for Tiger databases, we will call them the Source database and the Target database.

Assumption 2) Assume that in the Target database you have John BROWN but he has a missing child.

Assumption 3) Assume that in the Source database you have Mary BROWN who would make a suitable child for John.

Step 1. Open both databases in iFamily for Tiger.

Step 2. In the Source database find Mary BROWN and select her in the diagram (she is now displayed in red).

Step 3. In the Target database make John BROWN the Focal Person in the diagram.

Step 4. In the Target database right click on the ghost box for John BROWN's child and a pop-up menu appears.

Step 5. In the pop-up menu select the one that says " Copy Mary BROWN from xxxxxxxx"

Step 6. If you want to copy Mary BROWN plus her descendants then click on the button " Include Descendants"

Step 7. You can now decide which of Mary's descendants you really want to include.

Step 8. Press the Copy button. iFamily will first of all make a backup of the Target database - just in case. It will then add Mary BROWN as John's child and then add her selected descendants to the Target model. You will get a report of what has been merged into the Target model.

Step 9. Close the merge dialog and see what is now in the Target model. If you don't like it then you can Undo everything that was merged. Remember that there is still a backup of the Target model to revert to later.

Notes on Merging

If both databases contain imprecise information then merging the Family Trees can be very complicated.

The safest way to merge two databases is to ensure that the information in both database contains matches on FullName + BirthDate wherever possible.

Full Name + Birth Date can generally be relied upon to provide a fairly good unique identification of a person in a Family Tree containing less than 20,000 people.

There are permutations of all the above steps for merging a new person into the Target as a Parent or as a Spouse.

Regards, Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:36 pm

Originally posted by hib

Thanks for the response, Keith. However, I am familiar with this technique as it is mentioned elsewhere here. However, my request is different.

Using your language, I have John Brown in both databases but in the target I have only one child while in the source I have many children. How can I copy them (plus their descendants) over without doing them one at a time using the technique that you just indicated?

Thanks,

Al

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:14 am

Hi Al,

I am thinking as I write.

In the Target database let me assume that John Brown(T) has a wife called Mary and a daughter called Jane.

In the source database let me assume that John Brown(S) has a wife called Mary and 5 daughters, one of which is called Jane

In the Source Database let us temporarily disconnect the daughter called Jane from her father John. So now John has 4 daughters in the Source database.

Rename the John Browns to be John Brown(T) and John Brown(S) so we do not get confused.

Click on John Brown(S) in the Source database.

Make Mary the Focal Person of the context diagram in the Target database.

Right click on the ghost box for Mary's next spouse and select " Copy John Brown(S) from source database"

OOPS - I see your problem - you can include John Brown(S)'s ancestors but not his children ..

Once I had them all in the Target model I was going to reconnect the children from John Brown(S) to John Brown(T) and then delete John Brown(S) from the Target database.

I will add it to my todo list to allow you to select descendants. Will that do what you need?

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:09 am

Originally posted by hib

If by allowing to select descendants you mean in the (large) dialog box where all the other information related to person can get copied from source to target, then the answer is " yes" . That should take care of it, I believe.

Thanks for listening.

Al