Adding New Unrelated Individual

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:46 pm

Originally posted by jimwinfrey

What is the proper process for adding a new person? The only way I have found to do it is to click on any shadow box, add the person, then break the links to the family I added the person to. I'm positive there is a better way.

Thanks,

Jim

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:27 pm

jimwinfrey wrote:What is the proper process for adding a new person? The only way I have found to do it is to click on any shadow box, add the person, then break the links to the family I added the person to. I'm positive there is a better way.

Thanks,

Jim
I assume that you want to add a New Unconnected Person - a person who is not related to anyone in the current database.

At the moment what you have described is the only way to add a New Unconnected Person to an iFamily Database.

If you Right Click on the new person, select Disconnect Person from the pop-up menu, you can completely disconnect him/her in one action by checking all the boxes in the Disconnect Person dialog.

If the person and all his/her relatives are not going to be related to any person in the current database then you may like to consider using File - Open to create a new empty iFamily database and keep them all completely separate.

If you have a large display (or multiple displays) on your machine then you can have many databases open at once.

Regards, Keith Wilson

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:28 pm

Originally posted by jimwinfrey

Thanks Keith, in the long-term there probably needs to be an icon for adding a new, unconnected person or else all the grannies of the earth will be looking for a way to do it and bugging you all the time. BG

Jim

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:17 am

jimwinfrey wrote:Thanks Keith, in the long-term there probably needs to be an icon for adding a new, unconnected person or else all the grannies of the earth will be looking for a way to do it and bugging you all the time. BG

Jim
Agreed, but your post is both sexist and ageist.
Deleting a person also appears to be non-intuitive.
Keith