Bugs or features? (1.215)

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Bugs or features? (1.215)

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:49 am

sportbiker wrote:Here're a few things I've come across that may be bugs.

1. When in an ancestor/descendent diagram and with Show Page Layout active, the diagram doesn't take account of the scaling factor applied in the Page Setup dialog.

2. An Ancestral View isn't really a preference.
As I understand preferences, they they are generally " set once and forget" items. For example, iTunes has a preference for " Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized." That isn't a setting one would typically change on any regular basis. On the other hand, Ancestral Views could change regularly within a single work session, just as one could change the Focal Person several times during a work session.

3. When an a/d diagram is the active window, clicking in the main iFamily window will transfer focus but doesn't bring the main window to the fore.

4. It would be closer to the HIG if iFamily asked the user where the data folder should be stored, rather than automatically creating it at the top level of the Home Folder.

Most of these are minor things... it's still a great program.
Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your feedback

1. The Ancestor/Descendant diagram does not take account of the scaling factor selected in the Page Layout. This is clearly indicated when you have Page Layout activated.

2. You are correct that the Ancestral View is not strictly a preference. It was moved there as a convenient place when I removed multiple " project views" and simplified them to be a single Ancestral View. Multiple project views will be reimplemented if there is sufficient demand. With multiple project views any person may be in many project views - the user can have multiple project views highlighted at once and can also combine views using boolean logic and Johnston diagrams (similar Venn diagrams).

3. You may have many Ancestors/Descendants diagrams open at once - they may be moved aside. They intentionally stay on top to encourage you to close them. They are live diagrams, not static as in many other genealogy apps. They are resource hungry and when you close them the response in the main window improves - so please close them when they are no longer needed. You may also have multiple iFamily for Tiger databases open at once. Thus the Ancestor/Descendant diagrams need to be " stuck" to the appropriate main window.

4. Yes it would be more Apple Human Interface Guide (HIG) compliant if the user could decide where the files are stored. Some of our users are very savvy, however many are new to the Mac environment and some have even had diiffiulty using Finder. For the time being our support and maintenance effort is much reduced by not giving the user the option you suggest - later maybe.

So in summary I think I have managed put all your queries in the by-design basket rather than the bug bucket.

Regards, Keith