IFamily export of gedcom with pics to Web site

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:45 am

Originally posted by annemac

Is there anyone on the list who uploads gedcoms to TNG. Do I need to set up a folder in TNG and upload the photos manually first, if so what name do I give the folder.

I have tried several exports of small gedcoms but I am missing something in my understanding of the process.

1 I import a photo into iFamily and add notes to it.
2 I export a gedcom and it tells me the pics that it exports and where it puts them.
3 I import the gedcom into TNG but the pics or notes are no where to be seen.

So what am I not doing.

thanks in advance for any help

Cheers
Annie

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:36 am

Originally posted by KevP

In the admin panel for TNG, when you set it up, you should have defined the folder for photographs. This is where all of the photographs go.

When you export the gedcom and it tells you the pics that it exports and where it puts them, these need to be trasnferred manually. If you are using FTP, make sure that it is set to the transfer mode of auto or binary.

They then should be in the defined photos directory on your TNG server. Upload and import the gedcom. It should pick them up from there. However it doesn't always work and you may need to add them manually.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:47 pm

annemac wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I will transfer the pics to the correct folder in TNG. I use FTP and will check the transfer mode. Initially, I uploaded them and put them in the photos folder.

Will have a go tonight and report back on how I go.

Thanks, all else runs smoothly with iFamily to TNG and back the other way, would be nice to get this part working for me as well.

Anne
Nobody has asked for it but would you prefer an option within iFamily to generate a directory full of thumbails. Then you wouldn't have to upload a lot of full size images to TNG - just the thumbnails. If so then what size do you want the thumbnails to be? and would you like them cropped to be portrait like iFamily does when generating its reports? In the reports they are cropped to be 75 x 100.
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:08 pm

Originally posted by annemac(Guest)

I uploaded some headstone pics from the iFamily folder. First created the pages in iFamily with all info + headstone photos, exported a small gedcom of the All people in Diagram, selected the pics to upload by FTP to the appropriate folder in TNG.

Worked fine. Also TNG gives you choices for thumbnail size a max and a min, mine is set at 60 maximum width and 60 maximum height.

Thanks for the help earlier

Cheers

Anne