I like it, but need some help with

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:38 am

Originally posted by annemac

Hi Keith

Using 1.206 loaded and moving along. Like the A D bit as well very handy.

Now if I am having a blonde day please say so, but what and how do I use the new source area provided for in the events screen.

I click on it and it says add event, I say yes and get a 1 in there or a 2 depending on what I select. Is that linked to the sources.

Maybe you can spell for me today.

Cheers

Anne

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:00 am

Originally posted by annemac

OK I give up today. I have finally twigged to what this source event is all about.

It works fine, I like it, it is intuitive, more than I can say for myself today.

Annie

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:15 am

annemac wrote:Hi Keith

Using 1.206 loaded and moving along. Like the A D bit as well very handy.
What and how do I use the new source area provided for in the events screen.
I click on it and it says add event, I say yes and get a 1 in there or a 2 depending on what I select. Is that linked to the sources.
Maybe you can spell for me today.
Cheers
Anne
Hi Annie,

A Source is simply a collection of information, it may be a book, a certificate, a web site or a filing cabinet. It is up to the user how to define a Source.

Each Source has a unique numerical ID: 1, 2, 3, 4, ......

You define a Source in the Add/Edit Source dialog.

An Event is something that happened. It may have happened at a certain time on a certain day. It may have happened in a particular year. Or if it is something like being an Barrister it may have started when he/she was " called to the bar" and ended some time later when he/she was disbarred - in this particular case I would probably enter two events.

A Source Reference or a Source Citation is a relationship between an Event and a Source. If the Source is a collection of documents (eg many pages) it is adviseable to add a Page reference to the Source Reference/Citation so you can easily locate the information again.

So, if you are looking at the Add/Modify Events Dialog you can add a reference to a Source. If the Source does not already exist then, to add d new Source, you press the button called +-Sources. After adding the new Source you are returned to the Events Dialog and can connect that new Source to the Event and then add in the Page Reference or Topic or Notes that relate to that paricular citation/reference.

Please note that a document such as a marriage certificate may be referenced by more than one Event. For instance a marriage certificate contains not only the Marriage Event between the husband and wife, but it also indicates that the Bride's parents were a unit and that the Groom's parents were another unit. So a single Marriage Certificate may be referenced/cited by 3 separate marriage Events within iFamily for Tiger. In fact if I had 10 children and they are all married then there are possibly 11 marriage certificates that indicate that I and my wife are a unit.

For now just remember that Source, Source Reference/Citation and Event are three different object types and that there is a many-to-many relationship between Events and Sources, that is, a Source can be referenced by many Events and an Event can reference many Sources.

Regards, Keith