Import and merge files

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Import and merge files

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:15 am

Originally posted by gmd

Version 1.203. A query about merging files. I successfully loaded, to a separate new model, a GEDCOM file I discovered on the net. Is there a simple way to merge (and where necessary compare) the records into my existing model? The option is there to 'Compare and merge from another model' but the comparison is based on looking at the same IDsin the current and new model. In my case, where the same person exists in both models, the IDs are different. One option is to create a new pseron of the same name in the existing model then run the comparison but this seems cumbersome. Have I overlooked a way of importing a new model into my existing one, then running the compare/merge?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Import and merge files

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:25 pm

Hi Greg,

We are currently working on a more elaborate Compare and Merge, however, we must be careful that people cannot get into too much trouble.

Maybe Annie can explain how she's managed to do some substantial merges using what is already available in iFamily for Tiger.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Import and merge files

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:33 am

Originally posted by annemac

Hi Keith

Can help a little here.

I had most of my geni data in Reunion, 10,000 people, on my web page I have 5,000. I exported a gedcom from TNG web site and created a new iFamily file called Rossow-Beitzel Family, that is representative of my main family. I then exported a gedcom from Reunion (dumped reunion), created a new iFamily database called Rossow-Beitzel Extras. When I want to put other people into my main iFamily file Rossow-Beitzel Family I open both the iFamily files side by side. In the main family file I key in the new names I want to add in the correct area, and then merge between the two modules, works like a breeze. Not as quick as being able to import a small additional gedcom, but accurate and easily controlled.

I have done this for 500 odd extras. If I want to put those people onto my web site I export a gedcom of the new ones and upload it. Knowing that the ID numbers have been created by iFamily and will not conflict with my Web ID numbers.

Hope this helps Anne

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Import and merge files

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:47 am

Originally posted by gmd

Thanks Anne. I'll give it a try - looks intuitive to me.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Import and merge files

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:45 pm

Originally posted by annemac

Hi

I found that with the merge between two modules, the IDs may not match but the names will and the main family file retains its ID number, so it doesn't pose a problem in that area.

Good luck

Anne