Event->Places

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
mtpaper

Event->Places

Post by mtpaper » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:00 am

Question 1: for RTF Filtered Report
Is it possible to NOT have the notes?

I can easily delete them from the end, but it's going to be tedious to delete them from each event reference.....

Question 2: for RTF Filtered Report
the content body seems to be: Name, Type, Date, Event Name
Why does it include Type? I can understand that it might be useful in the CSV report, for sorting purposes. But I don't see the benefit of it in the RTF report, and it looks duplicative. What am I missing about its purpose?

Question 3: for RTF Filter report
Am I correct that I cannot 'turn off' the showing of Long/Lat?
Alternatively, I can do a search and replace from the finished report.

thanks in advance
Marion in NY

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:37 am

Hi Marion

There are two reports in the "Events -> Places" dialog - one is RTF and the other is CSV format. These two reports were designed as an aid for people to clean up place names that were imported from a Gedcom file. You seem to be needing a nicely formatted report for some sort of printed publication.

Keith
Last edited by Keith Wilson on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtpaper

Post by mtpaper » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:53 pm

Yes, I am working towards a goal of distributing family data to relatives at Thanksgiving. Determined to generate as much automatically so I'm not maintaing 2 sets of data (ie, I was keeping data in a genealogy app, and repeating the data in inDesign; too too much work)

A. DIGITAL PRESENTATION via iFamily's HTML pages; easy and clean

B. HARDCOPY binder(s)
1. Who's Who directory, sorted by ID#: text generated from iFamily Report->Single OR HTML pages, printed to PDF and combined into one document, with pdfs of photos inserted

2. 3-Ring Binder for
a> Places: I'll export from iFamily Event->Places to CSV file and work from that within inDesign, incorporating photos as applicable
b> Chronological: I planned to export via Event->Date; I may export from iFamily, import into alternative genealogy software, and generate their Events Report; or I may have just convinced myself to let this section 'lead' by the photos, and just add the story that accompanies the photos
c. Recipes: totally separate, not within iFamily
d. Stories: I have a bunch of stories my aunt wrote to her grandchildren..... I haven't resolved how I'll incorporate this

I'm exhausted just thinking of it all..... beyond that, I have the original prints/photos that are almost all organized.
Marion in NY

mtpaper

Post by mtpaper » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:25 pm

Update:
I used Event->Places as intended, and cleaned up my data. Thank you - it's a great tool.

And now I have a nice neat export to a csv file, and I can manipulate it easily to have the output I need.

Thanks!
Marion in NY