Searching and filtering and date entries

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
gerard35

Post by gerard35 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:38 pm

(1) How do you search for an occupation; i.e., all "mechanics" or all "tailors" in the file? The "Filtered People" report does not have that option. I have entered occupations in the EVENTS pane.

(2) How do you search for an AKA or ALIAS? Again, I know I entered data in the AKA field for several people, but when I search the drop down menu it does not have an option for AKA (or ALIAS). Again, the "Filtered People" report does not have that option. I search words and phrases in Notes and Comments all the time (like the name of a ship, etc., and that works fine.

(3) Stupid question on dates: does >= mean "after" and <= mean "before"?

I am LOVING iFamily! To have my data in a stable program is a joy. I thought I loved Family Tree Maker--but there is no comparison.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:43 am

Hi Gerard,

(1) If you choose Reports-> Filtered People.. from the iFamily Menus you are able to specify a Searchable Profession. Enter it in box next to the "Title/Occupation contains" label. If this is not an option you check to ensure that you are using Version 2.500 or later by looking in the bottom left corner of the iFamily window. A report can then be generated from Filtered People which will list all your matches.

(2) As AKA is still a relatively new feature it is not fully integrated to all the search dialogs yet, I have investigated the code and will endeavour to include it in the Filtered People panel in the next release.

(3) >= is after, <= is before, the less than sign always makes a little L if it were to fall over unexpectedly.

We&#39re glad you are liking iFamily, please keep the feedback coming in.

Warwick.

gerard35

Filtering People (Occupation)

Post by gerard35 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:37 pm

Warwick, you are the best--but I still have a problem. I do have V2.500.

It will filter people for everything BUT Occupation/Title. I put in a known occupation from my file (which are entered in EVENTS) and I get a blank report. I have tried both the Microsoft Word app and the TextEdit app. What am I doing wrong?

NigelRichman

Title or Occupation

Post by NigelRichman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi Gerard,

The Title or Occupation option in the Filtered People list refers to the Description field in the Person pane rather than the Occupation event in the event list (afaik at least).

I ran a test and it did find the entry I made.

Never been too sure of this field and what it should (could) be used for other than the e.g. entries.

Probably useful as a quick entry point for info before setting as an EVENT.

Nigel

alid62

Post by alid62 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:18 am

The nice thing about putting an occupation in the Title or Occupation slot in the Person Pane (in addition to entering occupations as events) is that you can then have it show in your ancestor and descendant trees. There&#39s something quite moving about seeing whole families of miners or tailors or canal workers. It also allows you to do the Filtered Person search you asked about.

gerard35

Occupation filtering

Post by gerard35 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Thanks, Nigel:

I made an "Events" Report to find the "Occupations" I had entered in there (not that many) and put them in the Description field. I am now good to go.