Adding family of in-laws

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Jack

Adding family of in-laws

Post by Jack » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:05 am

What is the best way to add &#39fringe&#39 families—siblings and families of in-laws?
I use v2.500 on my PowerBook G4 running Tiger and occasionally come home with more &#39Family&#39 to add to the Home &#39puter, an iMac G5 running Leopard, also on V2.500.
I really like the easy way of printing reports as PDFs and have found that by using Preview I can select part of a really long family to bring it back to a legible size of printout.
I can well imagine that V2.502 would also be similar to my &#39fringe&#39 families as above but of an indirect connection.
Thank you and keep up the good work
Jack

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:25 am

Hi Jack,

By promoting a spouse to the focal person you are able to add their entire family tree to your database in the usual manner. Start with creating your spouses parents and then move onto creating their siblings as children of said spouses parents.

The associated Person function in Version 2.502 is used for people that are not related to the focal person in a familial manner, &#39fringe&#39 is a good description. Political and business affiliations, friends or even family pets could be added this way.

Similarly to the spouse and in-laws example you gave, once the entity is added to iFamily you can then add their entire family tree as well in the one database.

Warwick.

Jack

Adding family of in-laws

Post by Jack » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:38 am

Thanks Warwick, my next question is how?
You see I have not yet synchronised the two computers, the iMac has a host of duplicate &#39persons&#39 already that I feel I need to prune, which is another matter, but would a gedcom of the in-laws paste into the master file or would it all need to be done manually—iFamily is sooo easy to use and I have been spoilt, (and lazy) but perhaps the typing would be good practice for me.
Cheers
Jack

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:26 am

It sounds like you want to merge your outdated and updated databases into one repository. While most of iFamilys&#39 operation is very user intuitive as you have pointed out this procedure is a little more involved both conceptually and practically.

This following topic written by Keith covers how to merge two databases in iFamily in some detail:
http://www.ifamilyforleopard.com/forums ... .php?p=366

There is also a link there to a helpful introductory video tutorial on iFamily Merging by the Mac Genealogist.

Your first step will be to place both your Source and Target databases on the same machine, if copying your updated database from your laptop into your iFamilyData directory please ensure the files have different names first. Backing up your original data is prompted as the first part of the process.

Good luck, hopefully you can minimize any re-typing, please let me know if further clarification would be helpful.