name suffix

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
drlaudio

name suffix

Post by drlaudio » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:23 pm

This may have been asked already, but I couldn&#39t find an answer using the search function.

What&#39s the best way to enter a name suffix in iFamily? For example, if I have "Joe Smith Sr", and his son "Joe Smith Jr", and HIS son, "Joe Smith III", how should I enter those names? If I enter them exactly as I just typed them, I get NO ONE with the last name of "Smith". I have one person with a last name of "Sr", one with a last name of "Jr", and one with a last name of "III".

iFamily apparently does not recognize generational suffixes, so what&#39s the best way to enter these names? Place the suffix BETWEEN the first and last name? Is there a field for it that I&#39ve missed?

Thanks.
Dan
ps. long time Mac user... just LOVING this program!

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:10 am

Hi Dan,

iFamily is aware of the surname suffixes Sr, Jr, III ... XX.

If these are the first names you have entered in your tree, iFamily may not yet have learnt that smith is a surname.

Try using a break space between Smith and Jr (a break space can be entered by the key combination option+space)

How are you searching for the smith family name? By using the people index and entering smith as the family name then pressing enter, a list will be returned which shows all surnames that include Smith. The below image shows the obama example with a fictional III&#39d.

When you enter children of a person with a roman numeral suffix you will need to delete the suffix for the child when making your data entry as it will be automatically copied forward.