Maiden Names and Married Names

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
drlaudio

Maiden Names and Married Names

Post by drlaudio » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:23 pm

In an old family tree program I used, there was an "automatic" fuction that I thought was quite usefull, but I can&#39t seem to find it anywhere in iFamily. Let me explain what it did.

I could enter a woman with her maiden name. E.G. "Jane Doe". Then, when I enter a husband for her (Let&#39s say "John Smith"), it would give me the option of appending her married name. If I take that option, she then becomes "Jane Doe, AKA Jane Smith". This really helped in searches (she would show up in a search for "Doe" family members as well as a search for "Smith" family members). If you know you&#39re looking for "Jane Smith", who you&#39ve only known since she was married but had no idea what her maiden name was,you wouldn&#39t KNOW to search for "Jane Doe". If her married name had NOT been appended, you would never find "Jane Smith", no matter how hard you looked. Then, if, say, John Smith passed away, and Jane remarried to "Frank Johnson", she would then be listed as "Jane Doe", "Jane Smith", AND "Jane Johnson", so you&#39d be able to find her in any of THREE searches.

This automatic appending of the name came in very handy with the old program, and I&#39m wondering if there&#39s a similar function in iFamily. I&#39ve seen the "Auto Append Family Name" check box on the main window, but when I check it or uncheck it, nothing seems to happen. Is that what I&#39m ooking for, and I&#39m just missing something, or is that checkbox for something completely different, and iFamily doesn&#39t DO what I&#39m talking about?

Thanks!

alid62

Post by alid62 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:34 pm

iFamily does have a field in the main pane where you can enter an "AKA", but as far as I can see those entries don&#39t come up in the name search. This was a field that was only added shortly before Keith Wilson died and I think was intended to do more eventually. Although it is strictly correct to enter women under their maiden name where you know it, I can see that searching on any of the variations she might have had during her life being very useful indeed.